Magneto Replaced

GoldenMotor.com

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
New magneto. Just recently installed my new magneto following the wiring diagrams. Alas finally found that it was my magneto that was burned out , as when I put the new magneto in it finally starts pulling bike forward.

Problem is that the engine starts to slow when it hits 22kmp/hr, then has little burst of moving forward and slowing down. Is it possible I need to change my spark plug? I notice that when i let go of throttle bike is still moving forward fast...should i fix my throttle cable or replace it?

Any ideas would be great, bike was going 40-45kmp/hr before magneto went...replaced magneto / kill switch and CDI with brand new ones.

Thanks

Watts

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Check for air leaks, make sure your throttle slide is moving all the way up AND down, check your idle speed screw.

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
Bikerguy Joe, great ideas thank, being new at this how do i check to ensure that A)My throttleslide is moving all the way up and down and B)where should the idle screw be, i heard tighten fully with fingers than do 5.5 turns counter-clockwise to loosen..is this right.

Thanks

Watts

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Take off the air filter, and look inside the carb and operate the throttle twist grip.

The idle screw will have to be set once the bike is running. Those instructions about "5.5 turns" are just supposed to get you close.

If backing the screw out some doesn't slow it down, check for an air leak.

Last edited:

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
Also to note, that I had tried taking the bike up a 45 degree incline and about 10 meters up the bike was slowing and slowing and the motor sounded like it was turn off.

Watts

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
Bikerguy Joe, well I think you nailed it on the head...as when I took off my gas filter on the carb and watched the needle as i twisted the throttle. It wasènt moving at all up or down. So this must be the problem, whats the best way to go about adjusting this.

Thanks

Watts

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Actually the needle doesnt come out all the way, but the carb slide(its a gold cylinder shape) does supose to go up and down with the throttle.