Firmstrong Urban Deluxe Stretch Cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

Elaia_Lychnia

Jul 15, 2011
Canada
Hey everyone,

I have had a few discussions so far and I have received a bit of a mixed message.

I am just looking for confirmation that I can make this work.

I've ordered a Firmstrong Urban Deluxe - Firmstrong Bikes

I want to mount an in frame 2 stroke motor.

If I get a mount such as this - Chopper and Stretch Motor Mount)

Will that be enough for me to easily mount a Grubee Skyhawk GT5? - Grubee Race 80/66cc Silver SkyHawk Angle Fire Bicycle Engine Kit

If you have worked with these types of frames before, can you please give me some feedback on this? It is my first build, and I am trying to gather as much info as I can before actually starting. I would appreciate any advice you can give.

I do not want to go with a rear friction drive as one person recommended I do, but rather the in frame motor setup.

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy again Elaia. (Got the spelling right this time! snork)

I don't know any thing about your bike but turns out there are a bunch of builds with them. After your thread, the very first pic is of one.

Firmstrong Urban Deluxe - Google Search

Gonna be a sweet looking build. Post lots of pics!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yeppers, saw a mount on ebay, well a bunch but was like 23 bucks or some thing.

That really is gonna be a great looking build.

Is exciting, ain't it? LOL, kid on their birthday morning sort of deal.

If ya get a chance, try and go to local MB events and rides. It is amazing how much you can learn and explore looking at and taking rides on other folks builds. Plus, MB folks are just a blast! They really are. All about half a bubble off plumb but to the good.

If there are none near ya, set one up. If one other person or 12 show up, it is a great time.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
It looks like I should be able to mount the motor using the technique displayed here - http://motorbicycling.com/f6/notice-stretch-cruiser-mounts-9582.html

I cannot wait to get that bike and do this build - I will be sure to post pictures!
Yeppers, saw a mount on ebay, well a bunch but was like 23 bucks or some thing.

That really is gonna be a great looking build.

Is exciting, ain't it? LOL, kid on their birthday morning sort of deal.

If ya get a chance, try and go to local MB events and rides. It is amazing how much you can learn and explore looking at and taking rides on other folks builds. Plus, MB folks are just a blast! They really are. All about half a bubble off plumb but to the good.

If there are none near ya, set one up. If one other person or 12 show up, it is a great time.
Keith, please search through the Notice Stretch Cruiser Motor Mounts thread and see post by RedB66, he's the guy that told me about the motor mounts!

Keith, welcome to the forum and yes in your post here: http://motorbicycling.com/f40/firmstrong-urban-deluxe-stretch-cruiser-32012.html

You asked the question are the mounts you need the same as this post and the answer is yes here's the link: http://motorbicycling.com/f6/notice-stretch-cruiser-mounts-9582.html

Your question is the Greenline the same bike, answer yes!

let me know if I or any other member, ( who has motorized an Firmstrong Urban Deluxe or Greenline Stretch Cruiser ) can offer anymore assistance to you with your build, and remember this is addicting, motorized bicycling!!!

Peace Crazy Horse.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
You can weld a pipe on the frame for the front mount and use the seat post for the back mount. If you look at my sig line you will see I have a stretch cruiser.

I'm not sure how well you can see my mount. Here is another one.

If you want I could get a close up.

Terry

PS: Great looking bike!

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
You can weld a pipe on the frame for the front mount and use the seat post for the back mount. If you look at my sig line you will see I have a stretch cruiser.

Terry

Terry get me several close ups particularly of your tensioner and tank as I will have chain routing issues also with my stretch... Shoot em to me via PM or if too large post them to a photobucket account and send me links.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Here are the 2 chain tensioners. They work very well with no problems.

Here you can see the front mount. Norman at Venice Motor Bikes suggested the gusset to reinforce the mount. Good idea!

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Side view of the gas tank. You have the same type of frame where the tank is. I only wished it was a little wider. It holds about 3/4 gallon. The tank is made of plate steel with tank coating material inside. Bondo was added to fill in between the tank and the frame to give it a finished look.

The petcock was purchased at a motorcycle shop.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I don't like the gas filler tube. I found it and the cap on line at a gas tank web site of all things. The gas has to go down then a 90* turn into the tank. You can't see the gas level that way.

Now this picture I just HAD to put in here!

I'm in the process of redoing the wiring because the electrician tape is coming loose in all this heat and humidity. The red wire loom didn't look as good as I thought it would so it is being replaced. The wires will now go through red vinyl plastic tubing.

I have a Monark fork with a disc brake adapter (From Venice Motor Bikes) to put on. I added saddle bags. Just in yesterday was a high flow air filter and a SBP expansion chamber!

Terry

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Thanks Terry it gives me a couple Ideas I will post images of what I do with them as time goes on with the new stretch build. I am just waiting to see if mine ends up longer than yours LOL...

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
"Hey Crazy Horse - I am just wondering if there is a particular motor you could recommend for my Stretch?

The Grubee GT5 or a thatsdax?

They will both work with that custom mounting technique right?"[/QUOTE]

Actually both of those motors should suit your build, since I've never used one or the other, on my 2-stroke motorized Greenline / Firmstrong Stretch Cruisers I used the same motors that RedB66 used they came from Canada a company called well here's the link:
Zoombicycles CANADA ONLY - Limited Edition ZB 80cc Black Engine Kit | Bicycle Engine Kits | EHBC Distributors Ltd

Throw away the rag-joint sprocket that comes with the kit and order a heavy duty dual drive rear wheel from here:
http://blowbyu.ca/93801.html this rear wheel comes with fixed sprockets one for the pedal side and one for the motor drive side.

If you want to go 4-stroke only $139.00 you can go with this motor no mixing gas and oil, did I say its electric start and you can run turn signals, brake light, head light etc... its from:
139 Special 70cc Engine Complete - Full Auto - No Reverse - Eng177-02 - Chinese 70cc Engines - Chinese

Heres some pic's of the wheel, the 4-stroke engine,

This 4-Stroke Stretch Cruiser below built by forum member: Civlized, see his build thread Titled "ATV 50cc on Stretch" Cruiser here:http://motorbicycling.com/f40/atv-50cc-full-auto-stretch-13417.html?highlight=civlized

Here's the 2-stroke mounted in one of my Greenline / Firmstrong Stretch Cruisers.

I'm using 4-strokes at this time, I prefer using the four strokes, ie more power, more parts available etc etc...

Checkout my photobucket page, you might find some idea's or see something you have a question or two about.

Here's the link to my photobucket page:
Stretch Cruisers Bicycles pictures by ICrazyhorse - Photobucket

Crazyhorse 4-stroke StretchCruisers pictures by ICrazyhorse - Photobucket

Let me know if you decide to go with the heavy duty rear wheel, what engine you go with 2-stroke or 4-stroke.

Here's the link to your post which wheel set:http://motorbicycling.com/f40/wheel-set-question-31787.html go with the heavy duty wheelset from Blow By You cycles.

Peace Crazy Horse.

Last edited:

Elaia_Lychnia

Jul 15, 2011
Canada
Thanks Crazy Horse - a fellow Canadian of mine recommended Zoombicycles already and I was looking at getting one from there. Is there any difference (other than color) between the black and silver motor kits?

I am definitely going with the 2 stroke from Zoom.

For the chrome stretch, did you use the custom mounting technique you described on a different thread using the Simpson Strong-Ties?

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Thanks Crazy Horse - a fellow Canadian of mine recommended Zoombicycles already and I was looking at getting one from there. Is there any difference (other than color) between the black and silver motor kits?
Just the paint is only difference to my knowledge,
and zoombicycles sells both 49cc & "66cc (aka 80cc)"!

Elaia, have you considered going with the 4-stroke?

Did you see the link to thread titled " Alternate 4 Strokes, I posted above just another option for motorizing!

C.H.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

Terry

Where is that bumper hitch mount bike carrier from? I like that it has a place to hold at three points (the middle with clamp).

Is it custom, or a stock part, or did you make it DIY?

Measure Twice