Bicycle Motor Refuses to start

GoldenMotor.com

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
For whatever reason now my crap made in china motor is being stubborn AGAIN and wont start.

I've seen seen anything so finicky in my life. The slightest thing out of whack in the wrong spot and it simply wont work. The only thing I did was remove the old spark park and put the new one in. I tried to get the wires from the wire box back into the plug wire cap. Can't seem to get it to screw around the wire properly. I even tried just the wire around the tip of the spark plug and put it's tip cap on it to keep the wire from coming off... Still nothing.

Then there is my brakes..... for the life of me I can't get the damn V brakes to work right and stay working. I will have both arms moving properly and I take the bike out and use the brakes and there out of whack. Each and every single time I use the bike. Motor or off...Doesn't make a difference. I'm very annoyed with this bike and having to adjust it's brakes every stupid day. I feel like just driving it into a wall.:-||

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Re: Motor Refuses to start

Most likely your wire is loose in the module box. I got mine loose when I moved it from one bike to another had the darndest time getting it tight in the mod box again.

There is a post in the box. You have to screw the wire down on that lil post of nothing happens. On the end where it goes on the plug I'm not sure what you saying but my guess is that its in the black box connection. Or one of the wires to your black box has come loose. Check those two before you kick the bike into next week.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa

I'm getting my buddy to look at it as I don't have the patience anymore to deal with it for now.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

Good luck mention the wire to him it is pretty easy to loosen if you pull the plug wire. I was that first time. Now anytime my bike doesn't start right up, I check that wire. Not sure if it helps or not. good luck.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com

The only thing I did was remove the old spark park and put the new one in. I tried to get the wires from the wire box back into the plug wire cap. Can't seem to get it to screw around the wire properly. I even tried just the wire around the tip of the spark plug and put it's tip cap on it to keep the wire from coming off... Still nothing.
Toss the stock wire. Get a single 7mm 90° cap wire. Cut to length.Take a sharp pin or tiny screw and drive it about 1/8-1/4" in - right in the center of the conductor - now screw it on the "wood screw" terminal.

What spark plug are you using?

Is your fuel fresh? carb set? choke all the way on? Head nuts tight?

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa

The bike ran with the fuel level in the tank and has sat in the house from the then on. I replaced the exhaust and the spark plug. The spark plug is Z74C the stock was a Z74. I cannot tell any difference between the 2 plugs.

I can't toss the stock wire. It's attached to the wire box and there doesn't seem to be any way of removing the wire.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

Screw the wire and pull it comes right out. It might well be that as the problem. but if it is tight it might not be that at all.

Sorry I mean twist the wire and pull on it at the same time

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

also disconnect your kill switch before you do much replacing of parts. i hear they are terrible for causing bikes not to start. Happened to me once.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

You said your bikes been sitting for a while. Is your carb getting fuel form the tank or is the filter in the tank plugged off? If you have an in line filter is it plugged off?
You have to have fuel and spark to make it run. Make sure you got spark. Then if you do spray a little carb cleaner or starting fluid in the intake of the carb and try to start it.
Your bike should run even if the fuel is old, but if you don't have fuel getting to the carb it will not run. same for the spark you can check for spark by laying the plug on the head and spinning the engine over if you are brave hold on to the plug wire spin the engine over if it knocks the shi out of you you got spark.
the guys covered the plug wire connection pretty good so make sure all wires are connected and if you think your kill switch is shorted out do disconnect it to try and get a good spark. good luck let us know how its going we will get you running either on the bike or pedaling the **** out of it.rotfl
Norman

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa

The carb still has fuel in the line itself. My buddy can tell if the spark plug is sparking. I'm still waiting for him to come over...

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

you might see fuel in the line but if the float is stuck shut you will not have any fuel in the float chamber so it will not run. spary some carb cleaner in the intake and see if it will at least pop or take the plug out and pour about a teaspoon of fuel in the plug hole and try to start it.if you got spark it will at least start and run for a second or two.
norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

Yep gas down the plug hole will tell you if you have spark and how the compression is as well. It's how I tested the ryobi I bought on ebay before I hooked up a gas tank. then I had to check the carb so I hooked up a gas tank.

I know this isn't very scientific but If it starts up for you with the little bit of gas down the plug hole. tap on the bottom of the carb just to see if you can knock the float loose.

but I'm still betting on the wiring somehow. Of course I was one other time as well. It amazes me how many times I can be wrong. I should get one right now and then just by luck. Maybe I should always give the same advice. That way I would have to be right once in a while. If I keep guessing I can be wrong all the time.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.

To check for spark, pull the spark plug out, & put it back onto the wire boot and touch the base of the plug to the engine head... now spin the rear wheel to spin the engine!
Look for the sparks!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

one sure fire way to check for spark is put the spark plug in your hand and have someone spin the wheel if it knocks the daylights out of you then boy you've got spark.rotfl I 'd try the other way( plug on the head) and my way as a last ditch effort.
Norman

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa

The spark plug sparks. My buddy tried the china ones the z74c.. Same thing. both got spark. checked the carb..The carb is fine. It's just being stupid. It been nothing but problems for as long as i had it and now that I got it back.. It's starting all over. It will work fine for a day then act up. When you do get it to work it simply wont work as well as it should. I'm running out of idea's as to what could be it's issue. The only thing I can think or my buddy is electrical problem..Hard to say. Not sure why it's been so complicated when it's a pretty simple machine.

I'm most likely going to dismantle it and keep whatever parts I think would be useful and find a sledgehammer and just go at the motor..

My buddy told me he will be out to my place again to take a look at it again. So if he can't fix then..I will do the above. I'm already saving to get the Engine Kit from Chris. Sounds like his kits are much less problematic.. Stupid made in china junk..Guess that what you get for a cheap motor.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

It's just being stupid.

I'm already saving to get the Engine Kit from Chris. Sounds like his kits are much less problematic.. Stupid made in china junk..Guess that what you get for a cheap motor.

Who's Chris and why are his kits better? Better than what?

What you get for a cheap motor is a little bit of mechanical education and a lot of cheap fun. They aren't that complicated and aren't hard to fix when they "go bad on you".

You need spark, air and fuel (in the right ratio) to make an engine run. You've stated you have spark. I'm betting you have an intake leak somewhere (very common) and you just need to find it.

A sledge hammer is an expensive way to not fix anything.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

Or you could send it to me I'll beat the **** out of it for you if thats what you really want done. I promise. Stupid ol engine.
Hey I could take it for a one way ride in my airplane. I'd make it walk off the wing that would teach it. Cheap ol made in china engine.
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

Joe is right.... make sure you are getting the first two elements then work on the other.... You know you have spark, do you have fuel going into the cylinder. In other words is the plug wet after you try to start it.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa

Joe is right.... make sure you are getting the first two elements then work on the other.... You know you have spark, do you have fuel going into the cylinder. In other words is the plug wet after you try to start it.
I will ask my buddy if he noticed if it was wet. I know the kill switch on or off made no difference at all.

Reason for my frustration is this motor has a history. It's acted up a few times before. One time the only way I could get the dumb thing to run was keep flicking the lever on the carb up and down. If I left it on down the engine would slow and eventually stall out. I have learned alot more about the thing then I knew before. So I guess that's a positive side to all this.