Storage

GoldenMotor.com

skaliwag66

Feb 4, 2010
canada
hi
i'm looking to build a gas bike soon. Is it safe to store the bike or gas can in the basement. I don't have a garage or balcony. Only a back yard and don't want the bike stolen.

thanks

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
First of all welcome.Is their a gas water heater or heating system down their.You dont want to store a gas can around a pilot light.

skaliwag66

Feb 4, 2010
canada
thanks,

yeah the water heater and furnace are down there. If the bike and gas can are down there at all would it pose a risk or does the can have to be close to the furnace. Any other suggestions to where i can store the can?

thank

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
Big risk do not i repeat do not store gas at all in an area that has any pilot or flame.The reason is gas fumes are heaver than air and usually your pilot is just above floor level on a water tank. The fumes will move across the floor then its bad news. I have seen homes burn just from this. Any chance you could build a small shed outside?

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Sounds like you are in an apartment,?,are the windows high enough in the back to suspend it at the window out of reach?...w/land lord permission first

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
I'm in a townhouse too, and the wife got mad about the gas smell, so I had to move the bike outside. I locked it with a U-bolt style lock and I bought a motorcycle cover to put over it.

I started with a cheap bicycle cover from my local bike shop, but it was made of crap vinyl and ripped after just a few times putting it on and taking it off in cold weather. The motorcycle cover was about $35, but has lasted for about 3 months now with no signs of damage. It's made of nylon fabric. I think it's a must-have if you're storing the bike outside.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I store my bike inside my apartment on first floor,mine dont smell like gas much cause i cover the gascap and aircleaner with plastic bags and rubber bands.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
i store my MB inside my apartment in the living room. Does not smell gas. I keep the gas can in the laundry area wrapped in double plastic bags, to keep the fumes and odors from spreading. I'm using an old shower curtain to cover my MB... :) My MB would be lonely outside. How would you feel if someone left you outside chained up? :)

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Resurrecting this thread as me and my wife are possibly moving to a commercial owned apartment complex int he area in the next 6 months.

How many of you live in apartment complexes? Any recommendation for things I should look for in an apartment when keeping MBs in mind?

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
the 1st thing i look for in an apartment is the security. I would browse thru the billboards and announcements on how the administration takes care of the facilities and if there is any break-ins that has occurred recently. Ofcourse, the lift or elevator should be able to fit the MB or at least a decent staircase to be able to carry my MB into my apartment.