Shift Kit + Nuvinci = (Grin)

GoldenMotor.com

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Integral gas tank, NO visible cables, pretty lines. Front drum brake, rear Nu Vinci hub with a sick bike parts kit.

Honestly I would have bought staton kit! And spent about the same.
Haha, I wish I could make the cables invisible. Thank you for the compliment. I think it has pretty lines too! The drum brake came with the bike and I think it has a bit of a retro look. I thought I would try them out and see if I liked them. If I didn't I could always get a wheel made for a front disc. So far so good, I really like the way it stops. The front drum has a nice feel to it that works well with the suspension forks. It doesn't dive so much as hunkers down. The combination seems to work well.

All the different kits have their pros and cons. I just don't find the rack mounted kits appealing.

DasKapitan

Jul 27, 2008
Birchwood, WI
www.cetaceanmarine.com
Clotho - Awesome & Inspirational, Nice Job!!!
Your build is similar to my project. I've ordered a Worksman Cruiser. I'm awaiting the bike to obtain exact frame measurements for a possible 4 stroke. Your information on the NuVinci aquistion & installation experience is very informative. Could you please post some close up photos of your handlebars? I'm trying to formulate my plan. I was considering throttle & NuVinci control on the same (right) side, reverse throttle on the left or I've heard that Harley Davidson used to have a left side throttle. What are your thoughts & experiences on this matter? TIA

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
The Sick Bike Parts Shift-Kit incorporates a front freewheel. This prevents any bump starting so yes you do have to pedal to start it. The nice thing that the Nuvinci hub adds is that the lowest gear setting is so low that most of the energy you use to fire the engine goes into starting the bike instead of moving it forward. This makes starting easier.
Well what I meant was once the motor is running, do you have to have to pedal any before you let the motor take over? Like, can you take off from a dead stop without pedaling....

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
You think about the power available to a bicycle. I read many years ago that an Olympic caliber sprinter could generate 0.5 hp for a short burst. That leaves me just short of half a horsepower is my thinking.:rolleyes: Now triple or quadruple that power, and you will have no problem using low gears to start from a standing start, without stress on the for a bicycle with these Overpowered power plant. I know that bicyclists with fixed gears on the track will sprint in excess of 40 mph from a little push start and no shifting. Add the ability to shift and the bicycle is so very efficient. Add that motor and they are sooo fun.!!!

Last edited:

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Your build is similar to my project. I've ordered a Worksman Cruiser. I'm awaiting the bike to obtain exact frame measurements for a possible 4 stroke. Your information on the NuVinci aquistion & installation experience is very informative. Could you please post some close up photos of your handlebars? I'm trying to formulate my plan. I was considering throttle & NuVinci control on the same (right) side, reverse throttle on the left or I've heard that Harley Davidson used to have a left side throttle. What are your thoughts & experiences on this matter? TIA
I will be able to post some more pictures next week so I will try to get some of the handlebars for you. There isn't really much to see though. Throttle on the right with built in double brake lever comes from Powerking. Left side is Nuvinci gears and clutch. You could put it together any way you imagine really. Throttle left or right and Nuvinci left or right. Only problem with the Nuvinci on the left is that the display is obscured. I think it just depends on what you find most comfortable.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Felts are my favorite production bikes, bar none. Fantastic build!!
And yours is probably my favorite of the custom frames. I like the Simpson bikes too but your Red bike is a beauty!

Thanks again for all the kind words everyone! I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Here are the photo's of the handlebars. I hope you find this useful. The shift lever on the right side with the blue graphic is the choke. The throttle has a built in double brake lever as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Clotho, Nice Setup !! Is The Orange Button The Parking Brake ?? :) MY GIRL FRIEND THINKS SAFE SE# IS WHEN YOU HAVE THE PARKING BRAKE ON . rotfl IN CAR OF COURSE.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Clotho, Nice Setup !! Is The Orange Button The Parking Brake ?? :) MY GIRL FRIEND THINKS SAFE SE# IS WHEN YOU HAVE THE PARKING BRAKE ON . rotfl IN CAR OF COURSE.
I like your girlfriends attitude!

One of the things I have found I like best about the Shift Kit is the ease at which I can remove the outside drive chain. The benefit of this is that I can motor down to a favorite park. Remove the chain. (do it with a paper towel and your fingers won’t even get dirty) Then pedal around on the paths of the park without offending anyone. The Shift Kit pedals very nicely with the clutch held in. Some would argue that it pedals nicer than the original kit and I would agree. Still... pedaling just the basics is as quiet and smooth as it could possibly get and in the circumstances of a beautiful and serene park it's a no-brainer when it takes only seconds to pop the chain off.

I took these pictures in the park as I rode around it so you will notice that the outside drive chain is removed.

The first picture is one of the many entrances. I could feel the way that this beautiful path, (that is less traveled) beckoned to my curiosity. How far down the rabbit hole would you like to go?

The park is called Redwood Park and it is a favorite place. It is 80 acres with hardly anyone on it. The few that are just smile and say hello. Just follow a path, turn a corner and find yourself in a beautiful meadow. Sit down on a bench and take it all in.

The fourth picture is taken under a massive maple tree, that is in the center of the meadow the bench overlooks.

The fifth was just off the path near the exit where I put the chain back on (also easy) and motored home.

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
NICE PICTURES. EVEN THE PEDDLES MATCH THE COLOR SCHEME . (^) MAN, THAT IS A CLEAN AWESOME RIDE. IS THE AUTO HUB WORKING GOOD ?? THATS SOME INVENTION . :ride2:

jvirginillo

Jul 21, 2008
Hey Neighbour! I have got to see your bike at some point. That park is just a few miles from my home. I thought the pictures looked a bit like Vancouver. Your bike is as many have said inspirational.

I just keep reading the threads here waiting to get back to work on my first project. (I am recovering from a Ruptured Achilles) Only 2 weeks until the cast comes off and I can get back in the garage and finish the cutting the chain. Got to say though guys I think I might be hooked on this hobby though since I love small motors and the hobby doesn't look to cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks to all of you folks who take the time to share your stories, information and photos of the cool trips you take.

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
First off- awesome bike. it is the incarnation of a vision I've had for a bike for a while now, as I too have a Felt although mine is electric. I do have a motor bike though and I love it, and have been planning a felt build for some time. Your execution is excellent, kudos.

My question for you is how did you render the tank style top tube functional? I would love to try replicating this for my build. I hope you will share your secrets!

Cheers!

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Thanks again everyone. The hub is working very well.

I hope you feel better soon jvirginillo.

Huckersteve, Nothing secret about the tank. You should search the Internet for posts by a nice fellow named Hblocal. He did it first I think, Indeed as have others. If you search at all you will find several examples with ease. We love pictures. We would love to see pictures of your project too! :)

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Clotho - Where are you? I didn't know you could send pics from heaven! I am overwhelmed that is the finest looking Happy Time I have ever seen. Everything is over the top, I would like to see someone build a finer looking bike and there are a few in here that are near that good. I think you are having the time of your life riding your creation in heaven, still wondering how we get to see some pic's from there. LOL, Have fun, Dave