Motoped

GoldenMotor.com

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Mike, your Motoped is coming along nicely and I have to agree with you about the quality and money well spent for something that is going to last a long time. I have an 6000W electric conversion on my Motoped and it's rock solid. It's prolly not needed but I'm building a little beefier rear wheel with 48 spokes so I don't have to worry about the added weight I'll be putting on a rear rack. Btw the rear hub width is 135mm and they are available in OEM from Motoped & custom CNC from Pirate cycles. There are also 48 hole hubs floating around from the original US builds.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Disk in carb rotated and clears the frame.

I do have to re-do the electrical stuff, good thing I did this first. That carb is nice eh?

Big in size for a 16mm.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Looking really good.... good thing you got that engine in there so you could see how everything is going to fit before you did all the electrical stuff... yeah, those carbs are pretty big for their actual size... I got one to experiment with but couldn't make it fit in my frame... so far the mikuni vm18 is the winner for my setup...

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Dashboard

It's been a while eh?

But I've been busy. Busy scrapping parts and ideas. The electrical mounting brackets are all done. Has been fun playing with the aluminum brazing rods and they are very sturdy and should work good. That was the easy part. Pics later.

This is the good part, the part you have to look at every time you ride;

I was going to put all this stuff on one bracket (key switch, gear indicator and headlight) and the GPS on the handlebar. Looked really bad. Threw it inna trash. Deleted the "all gear" indicator idea and just went with neutral. On 2 brackets, not one. Pretty clean eh?

No handle bar yet, but that don't matter, the light and GPS will just be a little higher.

Mikey likes it - :)

This is such a nice bike, all the factory parts are first class. I want to make my stuff just as good.

Reactions: Pezz

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Everything looks great and top notch Mike but I thought you'd be riding it all over town by now. I've been hovering around the Jet ski forums for the last few months and completely restored, rebuilt and ported one of my wave blasters.
If you're looking for some high performance parts for your Lifan, I've got a bunch of parts and a bored out and ported 148cc cylinder as well.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I should be eh?

New girlfriend, new dog, tax time and playing with airguns inna back yard. I got 4 motor bikes, 3 motorcycles and a car. Not in any hurry. And I'm re-doing the bedroom stereo too. Retirement is good, I answer to nobody.

So I putter with this project just like all the others that catch my interest. But this is going to be good and it's going to be right and it's going to be just like I want it.

Muhaha - :)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Looking Good Mike, I am curious about the LEd light being mounted beside the GPS though, reason being that the LED lights I have put out so much interference that my wired or wireless speedometers will not work when the light is turned on.

I hope that doesnt happen that way for you with the GPS unit, I sure wish I could figure out how to shield the speedo from the interference from my LED lights.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Very nice and clean looking install... I like it...
I fully agree... no rush, just get everything the way you want it and take the time to get everything right... it'll be that much nicer when its all done...

I also think Shan is onto something about the rf interference with the light that close to the gps... do you have a way to test this before its ready to ride just in case? Even tho it looks great the way it is ya might need to get those 2 a little further apart somehow while keeping it all looking as good as it does now.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
It'll be easy to test.

I just have to roll the thing outside so the GPS can find the satellites and then clip lead the headlight to the battery.

Rolled it out, turned the GPS on it found the satellites in 30 seconds and then I connected the battery to the LED headlight and nothing happened. No flicker, no bouncing speed indication or miles being racked up while standing still. Works good.

That thing is bright too, you can see the light on the wall to the right of the hand truck in the middle of the day.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Electrical brackets done.

I just love this aluminum brazing stuff, makes stuff like this easy!

Coil and CDI on one side

Solenoid and rectifier / regulator on the other side

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have used the Aluma Weld brazing rods several times, they work very good as long as area to be bonded is very clean and heat is applied right.

I dont trust my ability to weld good enough with them to use them for a high strength application, but for projects like Mike has made up here I think they work great and in the hand of a real pro they might do a good job for much higher stress use also.
Main thing I have found to be the difference between a good weld and one that will break loose is whether or not the material to be brazed is clean enough.

Nice work there Mike

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
All is well, the Motoped is still here, the thieves didn't get it.

I will get started again soon, have other stuff to do now.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
All is well, the Motoped is still here, the thieves didn't get it.

I will get started again soon, have other stuff to do now.
Good to hear Mike.
I finally got my MotoPed sold, it was a bit of a monkey on my back since I didn't ride it and it was always in the way.

Nice job on the electrical by the way ;-}

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Thanks. Yeah, mine is in the way too, it's in the guest bedroom. Good thing it wasn't in the garage or the thieves would have taken it sure.

For all you Motoped fans out there, the factory has the footpeg kits and the kickstands in stock now. I have the footpeg kit and it's nice. Ordered the kickstand too. It looks better than my DIY, more ground clearance and sturdier too.

That Piranha 150cc is only 5 lbs heavier than the 70cc Lifan. Amazing. Lifan first and when I get bored...

So girlfriend and dog and audio fests and my buddies daughter is getting married and I'm rackin' miles on the new BMW going to good eating spots and well you know...

One of these days - :)