Starting issues

GoldenMotor.com

stinkfoot

Jul 10, 2014
Boston
Hey guys I just picked up my motorized bicycle last night. Did a few laps and then took it home!

Upon testing it I did notice I have to hold the clutch halfway or atleast 1/4 the way to keep the motor running. If I completely release it the engine dies out.

Any ideas? Tried pedaling down hill this morning and popped the clutch it won't fire up.

:-||

rackemblue

Jan 20, 2014
Orange,Tex
.duh.Pull the spark plug and be sure it is grounded good on the cylinder head and check for fire. If this is a 80/66 2stroke china model you can turn the back wheel with the clutch pulled and check for fire. If you have good spark it will probably be a lack of fuel problem. you may also go ahead and clean the electrode on the spark plug while you have it out, look at the color on the plug before you clean it. if it is black the plug is probably fouled. also see if it is wet with fuel if it is wet then it is getting fuel. if it is white and dry it is not getting fuel.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
turn on petcock & try the choke - you might also want to call the guy you got it from for any particulars about the bike

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Did you check the fuel? How old is it? Like I said when you introduced yourself fresh fuel is mandatory. If the fuel is good on the nt carb push the tickler button down for a couple of seconds to fill the bowl then lower the choke, then pedal up to about six to eight mph and release the clutch. As soon as it fires raise the choke a little till it smooths out. It takes a little practice but is doable.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You can search for info or post on the forum by using the Google custom search box near the top of the page, just type in what you want to research.

rackemblue

Jan 20, 2014
Orange,Tex
.duh.pull the carb and be careful not to spill any fuel out of it getting it off remove the drain screw at the bottom of the carb bowl be sure to catch the fuel as it drains out. into a container. when it has all drained out put the screw back in. remove the bowl and hold it level pour the fuel that you caught into the bowl and see if you have the correct level. If you do the remove the float and the main jet blow trough the main jet and check the float needle seat make sure that it is clean. you can re assemble the float and float needle,float bowl and reinstall the carb stat the bike and see if it still has a idle problem if it does the slide needle on the slide has a tiny clip on it move the clip down one notch that richens the idle circuit. put the needle back in be sure to align the notch on the large needle retainer with the notch on the slide put the carb back on. try to remember always only do one thing then try it. if that don't work try something else. if you try a whole bunch of things all at once with the carb off you wont know which one fixed it when you do find something that works. Good luck

rackemblue

Jan 20, 2014
Orange,Tex
.duh.incidently I have the same problem with mine I am going to pull the carb on mine and go through the same procedure. Some time this comeing week.

rackemblue

Jan 20, 2014
Orange,Tex
.duh.Be sure and check your fuel cap vent too. Just loosen the cap and if it runs ok with the cap loose the vent is stopped up just get a new cap.

stinkfoot

Jul 10, 2014
Boston
OK I finally got the beast running! What I did was empty the old fuel, created a fresh new mixture, set the choke to half way and pedaled down hill. Popped the clutch and off I go!

With the engine still running I had the clutch lever locked in and adjust the idle for good measure. Now she starts every time and getting even quicker!

I didn't push my luck riding it too much, when on sidewalks I kill the engine and pedal. When I don't see any cops and not much traffic I turn the motor on. :)

I live in canton mass so I plan on getting it registered and a helmet of course. I would hate to see my motorized bicycle being towed away by some bored cop.

Anyways thank you all! I am now officially in the club, anyone in or around my area would like to ride please inbox me.

Thanks again!

rackemblue

Jan 20, 2014
Orange,Tex
.duh.Ok found my problem with my carb. I have the speed carb with the fuel shut off on the side of the carb. I also have one on my fuel tank. I cleaned the carb, but before I did I checked the amount of fuel in the float bowl there was very little fuel in the float bowl. I checked fuel flow from the tank fuel valve plenty of flow. I took the fuel shut off on the carb off and took it apart the rubber gasket inside the valve had decenigrated. had little bits of rubber in the holes where the fuel flowed out when in the on position. cleand it out and put the gasket back in from another valve I had laying around and put carb back on cranks first pull and runs great. be sure and check fuel valves when cleaning carbs. The one on the tank and the one on the carb if it has one. take it apart and clean it as well.

rackemblue

Jan 20, 2014
Orange,Tex
.duh.I knew my problem was not bad gas. The gas had only been mixed and put in two weeks ago. I have had two stroke gas a year old will usually run when mixed with todays gasoline. Just drain the float bowl and they will usually start up. then you can either drain all the old gas and put in fresh or drain it all first includeing the float bowl and the try to start it. Either way always drain that old gas from the float bowl it is usually thick as 30 weight motor oil from sitting.