610 ohms for magneto still not firing HELP PLEASE!

GoldenMotor.com

rlberry

Apr 20, 2012
Rockford, IL
I am having a problem with my motor not firing I'm getting 610 ohms reading on the magneto. I don't know if that's good or bad should I replace the magneto coil?

rlberry

Apr 20, 2012
Rockford, IL
I have a two stroke 66cc China girl. I took the ohms readings from the magneato coil the blue and black wires I connected the negative wire to the black and the positive to the blue and the reading gave me around 610 ohms. I know it is suppose to be between 300-400. I also took the cover off and found water spots inside too so Im thinking that fused out the coil. Would you agree with that?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Magneto Coil

1) Check Ohms between BLACK wire and WHITE wire. Reading should be around 2 Ohms
2) Check ohms between BLUE wire and WHITE wire. Should be around 300-400 ohms.

CDI

Use Ohm Meter High Scale About 200-K
1) Positive lead on BLUE wire and Negative lead on BLACK wire should read infinite (no activity)
2) Positive lead on BLACK wire and Negative lead on BLUE wire. Should be about 130-150 K-ohms
3) Positive lead on Spark Plug wire and negative lead on BLUE wire. Should read between 135-155 K-ohms

Switch to Low Scale 20K
4) Measure between Spark Plug wire and Black lead. Should be about 2.5 - 2.7 K- ohms

If there is evidence of moisture in the magneto cover that could certainly point to your problem. Electrical components and water don't mix well. Check the gasket on that cover and seal the area where the wires exit the case witha silicone sealant. You want that mag to stay dry.

If you're relying on the kit plug-in connectors, get rid of them. Solder the connections and protect them with heat shrink tubing. The kit spark plug boot is also a common source of problems. Throw it away and replace it with a good automotive quality boot.

Tom

Last edited:

rlberry

Apr 20, 2012
Rockford, IL
I checked all those readings and the only ones that weren't right were the blue and black wires coming from mag and black and white. I am getting 610 reading from blue and black and like 4.5 for black and white. Cdi is good. I am going to change out mag tomorrow and I'll post the results. Thank God I have parts on hand.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
we got some mags shipped in that had 450ohm readings - newer design which we didn't want to mess with and shipped them back

never heard of a 610ohm mag, but it may be that your soldered connection is not quite making good contact, or the ground wire isn't on a clean spot under the bolt

rlberry

Apr 20, 2012
Rockford, IL
Totally forgot about this post. My bad. Anyways I changed out the mag and problem solved. Having lots of electrical problems though with these china girls. Its either the mag, cdi, spark plug, boot, or its the carb. I had one carb where the jet was not even screwed in. It was just sitting in the float bowl. Man....China just don't give a crap about what they build.