Straightening a bent cooling fin?

GoldenMotor.com

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
I managed to bend a cooling fin on a china girl 66cc cylinder head, any one know how to straighten a bent cooling fin with out snapping it off?
Its one of the tiny fins in front of the head bolt.
You just KNOW it will snap off if i try to pry it back into place... will the loss of this fin cause a heat problem?
BBB
:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Go real s-l-o-w...
Grab the fin above the bend, not below it and take it real easy. Try working along the length of the bend with the front of the jaws of a pair of pliers. The key is to work it carefully, don't try to bend it all in a quick motion.
Don't worry about cooling problems. Even if it breaks off it's not enough of a loss to be concerned with.
If it breaks, just file the rough edge smooth so it will look like it's supposed to be that way and nobody will notice.
Tom

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
You guys are the best... thanks.
and yes... i tried heating it and bending it back GENTLY but of course it snapped off.
Broke out the dremel tool, ground it down clean... no biggie, at least I've not noticed any temperature problems.
thanks again.
BBB
:-||

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I've bent the fins back straight but I use heat from a propane torch.
I've also welded broken fins back on with that aluminum solder with no problem.
I'm going to have to cast a head just for the yell of it soon.
It will not have a combustion chamber when cast so it will have to be machined to size. anyone want one?
I've also melted down some of these engines. They are better than beer cans.