California Plate and Registration

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
just got my plate and my registration today. it took about 5 weeks.

i used the bicycle's serial number for the VIN, and for the engine serial #, i used what was on the tag that i took off the motor, which is also the date of manufacture (see the red circles in the pic.)

so, you don't need to worry about making up a big VIN #, mine's only 6 digits.

i only sent in $18, since that's what the DMV website says, and i still got the plate (even though it says $19 on the reg...)

since i took off the engine tag, i'm going to engrave the # on that little flat spot where the transfer ports are on the case. i wouldn't recommend using number punch dies, because you might smash the case.

(i woulda posted this in the CA Law thread, but that thread's pretty much wrecked by now...)

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Cool deal! I'm sending away for ours soon...
I really wish the plates weren't so big! :rolleyes:

*edit*
Where's that link to print out the DMV form?? That would be a good thing to have right here!!

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I mailed away for 'em this morning... let's see how long this takes?
I used the last 6 #s of the bikes serial # for the engine #s... lets see how that works?

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
I mailed away for 'em this morning... let's see how long this takes?
I used the last 6 #s of the bikes serial # for the engine #s... lets see how that works?
I've had mine now for about 2 months. I just roll with the registration, which coincides with a number on the motor. I happen to have an M1 license anyway. As for me, I'm gonna pass on the plate application on my bike. Now everyone out there, don't get weird on me and say, "You gotta have the plate on your bike blablabla" O.K. Great! Now go ride your MBs and put a smile on your face.shft.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I don't like the "moped" label on the registration card. It's a Motorized Bicycle for cryn' out loud! If a cop does not know much, he could cite you for not having all the required moped stuff; ie: lights, mirrors, brake light, horn, INSURANCE.... ect.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
You are right, as usual! :D
I just found that the outlined box in the lower right corner really jumped out at me.
"Carry this document or a copy when operating this moped"
And also the listing: "Type of vehicle use: moped" in the top left-center.
It makes me think that they are trying pull a fast one on us....... :mad:

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
You are right, as usual! :D
I just found that the outlined box in the lower right corner really jumped out at me.
"Carry this document or a copy when operating this moped"
And also the listing: "Type of vehicle use: moped" in the top left-center.
It makes me think that they are trying pull a fast one on us....... :mad:
For you peeps that don't have a registration/plate yet, while you wait for your stuff to come in the mail just go to Knotts berry farm and they'll make a plate with your name on it! hahahahalaff

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
funny you should say that. i kept thinking of buying a cereal prize plate off the 'bay. i've seen the cool blue california plates with "GET RAD," "SURFS UP," and "DISCO."

NOW YOU GOT ME THI...oops...thinking. i wonder if we could get personalized moped vanity plates from the DMV? i gotta ask somebody...

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
bicycles need lights at night, hence, we do.

lets keep the law discussions outta this thread, though. this one's just for plates, registration info, and jokes.

oh, and i wouldn't recommend everyone putting down what the tag say for their engine serial number. since it's a date code, there's gonna be a million engines with the same number. i've got 3 and they're all the same.

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
I’m glad to see more people getting the plates for their bikes. Regardless if the other required equipment is present, displaying the plate at least gives the impression of legitimacy. It shows the person made the effort and recognizes it as a motorized bicycle or moped. The law usually won’t bother you if they see the plate. I don’t even think they really require an engine number. You could try putting N/A, none, or leave it blank and see if it is accepted. Most engines have had something on them that I could write on the form.

I have gotten plates at the DMV but it can be time consuming since it is such a rare event and the clerk usually has to do a lot of searching for applicable procedures even after I give them the form. I have found it easier to just mail it in and wait a few weeks. The cost shown on the DMV web site is usually a year or more out of date. Like an earlier poster, I have found they accept the lower amount anyway when you mail it in.