CA Laws

GoldenMotor.com

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
California has a lot of niche laws for motorized transport. I think the VC section 406(a) moped definition is the most useful, but there may be other ways to use bike motors legally for getting around. You could take advantage of the motorized scooter law in VC section 407.5. Check out the attached pictures. If you can motorize one of these, you don’t need to register it or have any horn, mirror, or lights (unless at night). Maybe just remove the bike pedals and weld on some platforms to stand on. That should meet the definition of the law. There is no limit on how fast these motorized “scooters” can be capable of, however, you can be ticketed for going faster than 15mph under VC section 22411. Seats are also allowed on these standup bikes.

Attachments

Last edited:

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
bikes have no business on the sidewalk motor or no motor, if there is an unsafe street around and you know it there are use a different street. where i live there is more than one way to get somewhere (probably where everyone lives) cars coming out of driveways and others making turns is part of the inherant danger we all deal with. this is just another example of bringing the wrong attention to our hobby.

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
Well, there's no point in discussing it anyways :p. I'm sticking to the sidewalks, my life is too valuable.
Your life is no more valuable than that of anyone else. If you are going to stick to sidewalks, that is fine, but walk (or push your motorbike). If you really want to ride it, stay off the sidewalk. An 8 year old kid on a bicycle is one thing, but you are an adult on a motorbike. Grow up.

speedster239

Nov 26, 2009
Torrance, CA
+1

so you see the road bike guys riding on the sidewalk? roadies break most laws, but i've never seen one ride on the sidewalk
i've never been hit by anything while riding a bicycle. in the 25 years i've been riding i've also never rode on the sidewalk. unless it was to do a jump off a driveway bump.

+1
but i disagree with the 8 year old thing. sidewalks are not safe for anyone to be riding on.
i've been riding a bike on the street since i was 5. when i was 5 years old i would ride 1 mile to mcdonalds with my dad. we rode on pretty busy streets. i was 5 years old.

i don't recommend that for all 5 year olds.

if a child cannot ride his/her bicycle to school on the street like a normal person then they are not old enough to be riding their bicycle to school.
You do make a few good points. I'll plan my trips on the side streets that run parallel to the bigs so that I don't have to deal with the traffic and I can zip along right in the street. However, when I do have to jump on the bigs, I'll stick with the sidewalks. No, my life isn't any more valuable than anybody else's, but I know that when I drive a car it scares me when I come across somebody who's riding on the side of the road and I can only give them a few inches of space. It seems like they'd be better off on the sidewalk at those times.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Surfer Mike... I agree that bikes (especially MBs) should stay on the street, but there's no way I want my kids riding in the street! (at least until they are big enough)

Maybe the area you grew up in was much safer, but here in LA, people drive fast & crazy! (& everyone still talks on cell phones while driving!!)

The city is constantly putting new speed bumps on residential streets because of people racing down them to find short cuts off the main streets.

I'd rather take the chance of my kids getting hit by a car backing out of a driveway than getting hit at 30MPH!

Again, I agree that adults need to ride in the street!! :D

NewAge

Jun 19, 2009
California
I'm feeling ill from all of this discussion on California requirements, it sounds like it all comes down to control and taking all of the fun out of riding.

The more crap I added to my bike to make it comply the more it became a geekcycle and the less fun it was to ride.

I had the most fun on my bike when it had none of the required equipment and exceeded the maximum allowable speed limit for a motor driven bicycle.

Therefore I have decided to return it to its former glory by stripping, skinning, and shaving all of the stuff from my Pee Wee Herman geekcycle and returning it to the clean, sleek, uncluttered hot rod that it once was.

I will upgrade my lighting as I plan to ride only at night now on the less traveled roads.

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
I'm feeling ill from all of this discussion on California requirements, it sounds like it all comes down to control and taking all of the fun out of riding.

The more crap I added to my bike to make it comply the more it became a geekcycle and the less fun it was to ride.

I had the most fun on my bike when it had none of the required equipment and exceeded the maximum allowable speed limit for a motor driven bicycle.

Therefore I have decided to return it to its former glory by stripping, skinning, and shaving all of the stuff from my Pee Wee Herman geekcycle and returning it to the clean, sleek, uncluttered hot rod that it once was.

I will upgrade my lighting as I plan to ride only at night now on the less traveled roads.
Now your talkin, thats the spirit!