dax f80 with 36t or 41t sprocket?

GoldenMotor.com

stpwellington

Jul 31, 2009
chicago
just ordered my first kit. i got the dax f80 and 36t upgrade. it comes with the 41t normally. i did plan on doing mostly trail riding with it. was just wondering what you guys think i should go with. i figure the 41t would have more power in the low end, maybe better for trail riding? but i certainly dont want to be stuck going no more than 25 or 30 mph. kinda torn! i especially dont want to have to pedal going up hills lol

stpwellington

Jul 31, 2009
chicago
its a 26" raleigh mtb btw. i doubt ill need to go over 35, that would be the ideal speed actually. but definitely more than 25. 30 wouldnt be so bad i guess

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
With a stock, unmodified motor with the kit supplied exhaust pipe/muffler even with a 36T sprocket you're going to be pushing it to attain an actual 35mph. Some of the claims you see here of 35, 40 and higher are in some cases, a little overstated. If you're set on hitting 35 or higher you're going to have to go down in sprocket size, possibly to a 32T. Now you'll have good top end speed but your hill climbing ability will be almost nothing. The 41T is a good compromise and will keep you down in the safe bicycle speed range. I always stress that we're building motorized bicycles, not motorcycles. A sustained 35mph on a bicycle is fast. Probably too fast for safety.
Tom

stpwellington

Jul 31, 2009
chicago
thank you i appreciate the input. the 41t is probably the one i should stick with then. im more worried about having to pedal up every hill with the 36t than being able to go faster than i need to go. i dont think ill ever need to go over 35 mph really. i wouldnt mind being able to cruise at a steady 30 mph tho. besides, i figure i can always mod it, and that will definitely help out in all departments im sure

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
For trail riding, definitely the 41- you'll have more power uphill-

You didn't say how much you weigh, but if it's more than about 125, you'll probably do better with the 41-

on the road I'd say 36- That's what I use- i'm almost 200 and the bike only bogs down on very long and steep climbs- and I'm in a very hilly region, for the midwest at least

If I had to go far here, I'd go with about a 40, but I'm probably going to be riding mostly on flat ground soon.

stpwellington

Jul 31, 2009
chicago
ah that is true. i weigh about 190 or so. ive been looking into gear boxes and shift kits and the like. they seem very expensive overall, i would definitely need to see a drastic improvement to be happy with that kind of purchase haha considering i only paid $150 for the whole kit to my door

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A 41T will be almost too much gear for trail riding...a 36 or 32T would border on useless.
For trail riding a 44T would be a start. A 48 or 50T would be ideal.

stpwellington

Jul 31, 2009
chicago
lol dang i had a feeling that was the case. itd probably be too much of a pain to be switching out sprockets for different kinds of rides id think. a gear box seems like the ideal solution. i definitely plan on riding to and from the trails, so i would need more of an all-around type setup really. but whats really restricting me is the cash flow haha they just seem too darn expensive