busted studs

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
You can go to most hardware stores and get an "Easy Out". You drill a small hole into the broken stud then insert the easy out. It is reverse threaded so as you turn in the tool you back out the broken stud. If there is enough of the stud exposed you can also try to cut a slot into the stub and use a screwdriver to back it out. Good luck!

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
are they broken off flush? rip the threads out? or?

did your kit come with extra studs?..

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
Hello, I hit my muffler and broke the studs off from the motor any idea on the fix??? any help thank's
Jake
You could try Alumiweld, which is a aluminum brazing rod that
melts with a propane torch. Its available at Lowe's, Home Depot or Sears.
Of course you need to remove the broken studs if you can. Hopefully you
can save the threads and install better bolts, if not you can braze up the
mounting holes, drill and re-tap it for standard threads.

Last edited:

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I broke a oil hardened front motor mount stud. A good stud not a stock one. You can't drill those but you can drill a stock stud. I took it to a friend and he TIG welded another smaller bolt on top of the one that was broken off flush. Yes it was a tiny weld but he's a very talented welder. The heat from the welding broke the lok-tite loose and I was able to unscrew it. Good Luck, if you get them out makle sure to replace them with good quality studs or bolts.

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
mig would be better to remove the studs... just a quick tack to two.. maybe have some water handy.... Yes, people recommend lock-titing everything.. I've stopped listening to people.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Sorry to disagree but with MIG you don't have nearly the control on how much material your adding. These welds one on each side of the stud were less than 1/16" long. I agree a MIG would have probably worked the TIG just worked better.

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
you're not my dad then. works at Mack truck.. never has time for me anyways so, Whatever works!

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Sorry to hear that Noob, the difference is with MIG the wire coming out of the gun creats the arc. So to weld your constantly adding the wire. With TIG you use a tungsten to creat the arc and add wire with your other hand adding only as much as you want.

unior

Jun 18, 2009
Lancaster, PA
Try and extract the broken stud with an easy out. Replace with a good m6 stud. If that fails buy a 1/4" x 20 sae tap. An end tap is preferred. Drill out the old threads with the exact size bit that the 1/4" tap calls for. It is important that you drill the exact size hole that the tap calls for and drill as straight as possible to avoid reaming out the hole too much.

unior

Jun 18, 2009
Lancaster, PA
I rarely loctite studs. A high quality lock washer is better imho. The proper way to install a stud is with a tool called a "stud setter." Also If the the nut is loctited and stays tight the stud shouldn't back out.

markeatmark

Jun 17, 2009
jacksonville NC
i broke a motor mount bolt 20 miles from home. rear mount. so i put both feet on top of the motor. so as to keep it in place. and the bike never ban better. the motor did not vibrate and it made more power and reved higher. much smoother ride. so i think along with the repair. I will make a new mount from the head to the back bone. like you'll see on a Harley. wiil keep you posted as to the results.