No more trail!

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Was doing some trail riding on a trail I have not been on in a long time.

Been so long that the rain washed out the trail. I saw it, I was just going too fast to do anything about it.

Jumped off at the last minute and other then a scraped elbow nothing got hurt.

Bike was fine other a few more scratch's to add to the rest of them.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Looks like a seismic fault line to me. Make a note, Dave. 'Don't ride in earthquake prone areas :)

Glad you or the bike didn't suffer. That could have been bad.

Tom

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Back in the day when I was an avid dirt biker one of the first things I learned was to scout the trail first before blasting down it. Even if I just road the trail recently, and especially if I haven't ridden a trail for a while.
.duh.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am glad that you and the bike were not seriously hurt.
massdrive's technique is one that I used alot when I was a kid riding out in Ocotillo Wells.
I started doing it after I learned the hard way...

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I kid you not, that trail looks identical to one I used to race Mtn. Bikes on near Lake Morena at Four Corners off-road vehicle area. Every year it would wash out like that and claim it's victims unaware......it would just gobble them up!

Scary stuff when yer flying along and suddenly........where'd the trail go? Where's my bike? Sure glad I was wearing a helmet!

Glad too hear you're fine Dave.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Yea glad your OK! You must have seen it soon enough to slow enough that you ditched in the best way considering what else might have been.

I know of the Old upper section of Alpine Road in the Santa Cruz Mountains that has been unmaintained from previous logging road years past. I took a friend on a ride there not knowing what it was like. I back tracked and took a long way around on the thin tire bike I and the friend were riding.

You know there was no marker ahead of time mentioning a washout that had been there already for many years. The drop I saw was just like your picture.

A trail bypass takes you around the washout if you look for it, but not very obvious.

New areas you've not been, probably best to take a slow preview ride, especially slow around bind curves.

Any way this area is probably closed to motorized vehicle of any sort.

I had forgotten how places people ride bikes, you would think signs would be posted of stuff like this, but I guess not?

MT

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yea glad your OK! You must have seen it soon enough to slow enough that you ditched in the best way considering what else might have been.

I know of the Old upper section of Alpine Road in the Santa Cruz Mountains that has been unmaintained from previous logging road years past. I took a friend on a ride there not knowing what it was like. I back tracked and took a long way around on the thin tire bike I and the friend were riding.

You know there was no marker ahead of time mentioning a washout that had been there already for many years. The drop I saw was just like your picture.

A trail bypass takes you around the washout if you look for it, but not very obvious.

New areas you've not been, probably best to take a slow preview ride, especially slow around bind curves.

Any way this area is probably closed to motorized vehicle of any sort.

I had forgotten how places people ride bikes, you would think signs would be posted of stuff like this, but I guess not?

MT
The only signs you see posted around here in the middle of nowhere are all too familiar...........NO TRESPASSING!

Yes......in the middle of nowhere.....

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Glad you didn't pop your shoulder out again Dave. Those are some pretty big ruts to try to bunny hop over.