WTB: Woodruff Keys

GoldenMotor.com

Shagasaur

Aug 2, 2013
Utah
Looking for the woodruff keys for the clutch shaft. I'm tired of so called "Big Boy" stores charging $6-$12 to ship a item that weighs less then the envelope.

Might be interested in the clutch arm and cam shaft as well as the sprocket cover also...

Thanks

Shagasaur

Aug 2, 2013
Utah
I've gone to every hardware store I could find... Including Ace and no luck. But not knowing the exact size of the key is not helping..

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Why are you having to replace so many? It sounds as if you've had to replace more than one when you say you're tired of buying from a big box.

Tom

Shagasaur

Aug 2, 2013
Utah
I guess I am looking to have a few on hand... And because this is my first motorized bicycle and I'm a "Be Prepared" kinda guy.. I really don't want to have to wait for shipping if this ever happens again. Maybe I'm just being paranoid!

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
In the hardware dept. @ HOMEDEPOT there is a set of drawers down low that full all kinds rare hardware like woodruff keys. Here's the best part, BOTH SAE & METRIC SIZES. You didn't look that hard because I stumbled them on by accident, and I didn't need them, I was buying stuff for my trailer.LMAO

Shagasaur

Aug 2, 2013
Utah
In my area here in Utah both Lowes and Home Depot no longer carry woodruff keys... And I checked 2 Lowes and 3 Home Depot's.. So if you found the keys @ a Home Depot what is the size on the keys? If I just knew that I'd know what to ask for and call a bunch of stores out of my area...:-||

Shagasaur

Aug 2, 2013
Utah
80 Piece Woodruff Key Assortment @ Harbor Freight Tools
Storehouse - item#67584
http://www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-woodruff-key-assortment-67584.html
20% off coupon eases the pain

Not sure if these would be the right size.

Nice site, looks like a father and son might have found common hobby.
Bought the set at my local Harbor Freight.... Spent 2 hours with a file and locking pliers trying to shave the smallest one down... Without a grinder its impossible.

Thanks

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
NAPA auto parts store tends to have the widest selection of oddball parts.
Next I would try the biggest chainsaw shop in town.
Next I would try the biggest motorcycle shop in town.

Surprised no one sells kits with gaskets, rings, keys, clutch plates, etc.

Harbor Freight has 4.5" wheel electric hand grinders on sale sometimes for $10.
I keep 2, 1 loaded with cut off wheels the other with standard grinding wheels.

Last edited: