clutch noise? sounds like birds

GoldenMotor.com

buhz

Mar 16, 2011
clearwater fl.
when I ride there is a chirping sound,pull in clutch it goes away. but not allways. I know this cannot be good for the engine or me if it locks up.I loosened then tightened the flower nut, same bird sound has anyone ever had this? need HELP! thanks bob buchholz BUHZ :-||

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I'm pretty sure that's normal for the stock pucks. I seem to recall having the same problem. How old is the engine? Making pucks from mcmaster clutch material will help but I don't know your skill level or comfort with that task. Don't worry about the squeaking too much, I promise you if it is REALLY coming from the clutch then it won't hurt the engine. However, my experience with bird noise on these engines is when you blow a head gasket and air is squeaking through a tiny gap and chirping. This happened to me when one of my head bolts stripped, so check that, :)

buhz

Mar 16, 2011
clearwater fl.
thanks LS614 it would appear that I do have a head leak. I wipe everything down all the time but never looked close up. can I make my own gasket or is it better to buy one from a vendor ? ride safe Bob brnot

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
you COULD make your own out of copper sheet, but it would be so challenging you'd be better buying one. Just check that it REALLY is your gasket and not a stripped stud. The other thing you can do is sand the surfaces on glass to make them flat, they sometimes warp and that can cause a leak.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
you COULD make your own out of copper sheet, but it would be so challenging you'd be better buying one. Just check that it REALLY is your gasket and not a stripped stud. The other thing you can do is sand the surfaces on glass to make them flat, they sometimes warp and that can cause a leak.
I've made several of my own gaskets and yes it is a bit challenging, I use gasket hole punches and then the hardest thing to do is the big hole in the gasket, I plan to make a tool for that in the future so it isnt so dang much trouble getting that hole right.

I use 0.016 Alum. sheeting for mine because it is 0.011 thinner than the stock 0.027 Gaskets that I have removed from my engines, then I coat them very good with Permatex Copper Coat spray and Wah Lah.......A bit higher compression and I save a few bucks on buying the stock gaskets and having to wait on them.

Sorry i got off topic here, just got me thinking about the gaskets.....

LS614 is right, a head gasket leak can cause that chirping noise for sure.

Also LS614 made a great suggestion about lapping in the head on a sheet of 220 or 320 sandpaper taped to a piece of sheet glass, apply nice even pressure at the center of the head as you move the head in a circular motion, this will remove imperfections and give the head a nice smooth flat surface to seal up good on the gasket, it's best to do both the head and the jug, but I think most of the time the warpage is the head and the jug surfaces on my engines have all been good and flat.

Peace

Last edited: