Why not just register the moped as a motorcycle?

GoldenMotor.com

grandpa2390

Jul 13, 2008
I just bought another motor to build into a moped that i would drive to the University and back (i estimate it would take an hour by moped). And as i am reviewing Louisiana Law I am wondering why not just register the thing as a motorcycle. Here is the law. For all of you moped enthusiast out there, can you tell me the downside of registering it as a motorcycle or if that is even possible. Here is the law:

Lousiana Moped Laws
DEFINITION OF MOPEDS AND MOTORIZED BICYCLES
MOTOR DRIVEN CYCLE - R.S. 32:1(39) defines as every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor not to exceed five horsepower.

MOTORIZED BICYCLE - R.S. 32:1(41) defines as a pedal bicycle which may be propelled by human power or helper motor, or by both, with a motor rated no more than one and one-half brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission, and which produces a maximum design speed of no more than twenty-five miles per hour on a flat surface."

REGISTRATION OF VEHICLE - R.S. 47:501 requires every owner of a motor vehicle, trailer, or semi-trailer, or other vehicle intended to be operated upon the public highways in this state to register the vehicle before driving.

PROCEDURE FOR REGISTRATION AND TITLING
Mopeds and motorized bicycles shall be registered and titled upon presentation of the following:

1. Notarized certificate of origin or title

2. Bill of sale

3. Evidence of security interest must be filed by a UCC-1 or equivalent form or by the filing of the security agreement.

4. Odometer statement

LICENSE REQUIRED

1. A motorized bicycle shall only be operated upon the roadway of the highways of this state by a person fifteen years of age or older who possesses a valid driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement and shall not be operated upon sidewalks, interstate highways or impede traffic flow.

2. No person may operate a moped or motorized bicycle without adhering to laws governing the operation of motorcycle including the wearing of approved eye protectors or a windshield and the wearing of a helmet.

NOTE: MOTORIZED BICYCLES SUCH AS POCKET BIKES AND SCOOTERS THAT DO NOT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POLICY SHALL NOT BE REGISTERED.

the motor i bought is a 66-88 cc motor it is chinese so in reality probably on 30 (lol). but on my receipt it says 66-88. so i wouldn't be able to register as a moped unless i fudge the receipt or have a local bicycle shop "sell" me my moped with a different rating. but that might result in legal consiquences if caught. What do you all think?

grandpa2390

Jul 13, 2008
i would have to register it as a motor driven cycle, correct? would that be the right choice legally?

grandpa2390

Jul 13, 2008
by the way here is the stats to my motor:
1.95 hp. to 3.0 hp 2 cycle gas/oil mix bike motor kits.

GRUBEE SkyHawk GT5 66cc/80cc Bike Motor Kit: 1 gal. steel gas tank, chain and sprocket, handlebar controls, mounting hardware package and instruction sheet. Total wt. is 24 to 27 lbs.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
why not buy a engine thats around 50cc and use that receipt to register it as a moped.
You can still use the larger engine on your bike,who will know,noones gonna look.

and your 66-80cc is not 30cc,its around 66cc.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I would guess you would try to register it as a motorcycle if you even could.
66cc is a little much to register it as a moped,make sure you say it only goes 25mph or less.
But i dont think you have a Notarized certificate of origin or title.

I cant even register anything unless i bought a bike with a motor and title from a dealer so i have to ride mine without registration. Nothing is legal where i live except electric bikes.but noones bothers me yet and i have been riding mine for a year.

Last edited:

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
Check with your insurance co and see if they will insure it.You will not have a serial number on the motor,just the bike.H.D.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It is my unqualified opinion that all bike china kit motor are 49cc... Unless the dept of motor vehicles plans to measure the cylinder they won't know the differenece. Just my opinion

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
You could get the label from a IBM COMPUTER.When the police stop you point at the label,and say thats a IDDIE BITTIE MOTOR.might work.H.D.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I didn't think there was any of that paperwork for home built bikes. Oh well good luck whatever you decide to do.