Need advice 2 cyl engine troubles

GoldenMotor.com

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
I have some problems with my 2nd kit that I can't figure out. It seems to be 4 stroking and is tough/slow to start.

I'm running a Grubee Gt5 66 cc.
75 miles on 18:1
Switched to miles Opti 2 100:1 today 5 more miles (80 total)
NGK B6HS, tired B5HS as well as stock plug
Upgraded wire
Tried 2 separate carbs with similar results
Clip currently on 2nd from top (stock was on #3 down)
I have not located any air leaks
Head, intake, exhaust bolts are torqued and loctited.

This engine has been slow to start on a cold start since the first got it. After it has warmed up a bit and then you try to restart it is fine. It sounds like a lot of 4 stroking throughout the throttle and doesn't want to go to higher RPMs.

My comparisons are being made to another Grubee Gt4 66cc that I have. I don't know that this is an impartial test subject as the first engine was from an poor vendor who sent an obviously used engine with clutch issues and would not acknowledge my calls or emails. Engine vibrated to death, threw;locked the chain and eventually ripped out the motor mounts.

Specific Questions
1) I know four stroking to some degree is normal but does this sound right. Speed on a 44t with me just under 200lbs is 20-22MPH.
2) I have tried 2 separate carbs and will also try to raise the clip to the top but if I opt to change the jet, is the stock size 70? Please confirm 1)that a higher number would be a smaller jet 2)Smaller jet should result in more of a lean condition which would help to alleviate 4 stroking.
3) Would magneto or CDI have any bearing on this? Both were from the 1st kit and seemed to work fine there. Is there merit in trying the spares I have?
4) This kit takes a long run to cold start. It is not uncommon to pedal 100-200+ ft to get it to start for the first time. It is also temperamental until it warms up. It usually requires that I warm it up for 2min or so before riding. Is this normal?

From the reading here, I realize that the first step will be clip on top notch. Unfortunately it is a monsoon here today. FYI, In moving the clip from #3 to #2 I did not notice any improvements in the way the engine ran. The plug was slightly less fouled but it was still in heavy break in with 18:1.

Appreciate the help.
Brandon

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
4) This kit takes a long run to cold start. It is not uncommon to pedal 100-200+ ft to get it to start for the first time. It is also temperamental until it warms up. It usually requires that I warm it up for 2min or so before riding. Is this normal?
Appreciate the help.
Brandon
Find the answer to this and im sure alot of you problems will cure themselves.
Look harder for air leaks
You sure its 66cc not 48cc? stupid question i know
I can push both my bikes to 5kmh and they fire up, if you fouling plugs and not noteing any change via the carb clip setting im thinking your to rich off the main jet remember the needle controles part throttle then you running on the main jet at wot. so if the supply is to much the needle cannot control it at part throttle let alone wot.

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
Thanks for the advice. I agree that the symptoms indicate an issue with the main jet but am perpexed as I have tried 2 separate carbs. I used a proven carb from my previous kit that only had 50 miles on it. The only way the I I cna justify it would be that both carbs run rich but perhaps the 1st engine had an air leak that kind of canceled out the air leak?
I don't know, seems fishy to me as there would have to be too many stars align at once.

Still looking for other ideas......Anyone think this is a magneto/CDI issue?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Check your wires to the CDI. Mine went from running fine in the morning to running like crap that afternoon. Would only run "well" under acceleration, as soon as I tried to hold a constant speed it would start to 4 stroke and top speed went from around 27-30 down to 19-22. Pulled over to check everything out and found that the ground lead connector had come loose, the connector covers were still connected to each other but the connectors inside had pulled apart.

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
Update:
Although I have an engineering background, I didn't follow a proper Design of Experiment precess. I made several changes at once.

Switched out the CDI which meant removing the spark plug wire and checking all other wiring. At the same time I disconnected the kill switch from the blue/black wires from magneto and used the white and a ground.

I have only ran about 15 miles today but it seems to be a bit better and is running smoother. 4 stroking is not gone but is significantly reduced.

QUESTION:
What is the stock size for the jet? What would be recommended?