Generator

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
I saw on the internet in japan where a man, hooked up a car alternator to his back wheel, friction drive, mind you this was on a peddle bike, to charge a battery, that ran his lights, which were a lot, he had two fog lights in front, two side lights two one each side in the back used as turn signals, as well in the front, plus a stop light from a trailer in the rear all 12 volt.
the alternator was 30 amp, 12 volt, which keep his battery charged.
Keep in mind the alternator was a one wire, with a voltage regulator built in, so no extra parts need other then a trigger wire form a switch when lights are turned on.
This setup will run a starter as well, and is simple to setup.
I believe this is the answer to the light problem, running a 12 volt system.
I will set this up after I get more used to my bike. usflg

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
If you can get by with 10 amps, try a Kubota dynamo. They are tiny, about 3" in diameter, and the whole outside rotates with the pully and is smooth. Perfect to friction drive off a tire.

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Yes it sounds interesting, I will take a look at it, but I already have the alternator so it is free and the voltage regulator is in it, so it is an easy install and since it is made for a car, it is reliable and you can rebuild it, I will use a serpentine pulley so it will fit the tire and turn the groves out on my lathe to keep the wear down, there is a rubber in a can you can get, it is tough, spray the inside of the pulley and makes a very good friction to the tire. .flg.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Sounds like a good plan, Those lil 30 amp alternators aren't much bigger than the dynamo. One thing though, the dynamo will work with no battery .

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Hay I took a look and they are pricey, further you have to buy a regulator as well, You can get a car alternator form a junk yard or rebuilt and the cost would much lower.
Further you can control the unit with a switch on/off or variable resister to control the output if the pull is to much at 30 amps. by the energizer wire .shft.

Last edited:

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
That is OK if your requirements are low, but if you want to run 12 volt lighting and a starter, you will need a battery and a way to keep it charged.
Just depends on what you are trying to achieve.
I want to make sure the cars see and hear me coming, I might even have a emergency light on my bike of some kind and a loud horn.
Even riding a motorcycle is chancy at best when in traffic.
The man in the ashen county must have been very aware of this, and even at peddle speeds the battery was always charged up. dance1

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
I would look at it, but I have made my mind up as to the car altinator that I am going to use, I will use the back tire to run it, but the chain could be used as well. Have to see what clearness I have on bike.
Further think of the car altinator on a electric bike charging the battery's as you ride it, might take more amps, but the range could very well extend the range dramatically.
there is a man on you tube that put a small Honda generator on his electric bike and extended the rage form 20 miles to 100 miles, kind of a hybrid bike.
then think no gas to charge only free energy with the rear whell driven aleniator. dance1.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Further think of the car altinator on a electric bike charging the battery's as you ride it, might take more amps, but the range could very well extend the range dramatically...
Unless you're pedaling or there's another outside source of energy (regenerative braking/downhill), this is unfortunately defeated by the first law of thermodynamics/conservation of energy, as it will always take slightly more energy from the system than it can replenish - some will always be lost through heat/friction.

Blasted physics :(

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Has anyone tried it, further you have a 20 to 1 drive factor on the rear wheel. which should put out more then enough amps to extend the range of the battery charge, I am not saying that the battery won't go dead with out charging, just that the range will be extended.
Then there is the man who put a small Honda generator on his electric bike and extended the range from 20 to 100 miles.
Go to you tube put in bike generator and you can view it. zpt

If you don't try you will never know

They he hawed Edison, said all the facts were wrong, till he tried it and proved it.

try and try again till you prove it can work.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yes, many have tried something similar, what you're proposing is essentially perpetual motion - consider this: where your theory sound, without batteries for stored energy or another outside source of energy you could connect an electric engine to an electric generator & by powering that generator with the engine, provide the energy needed to power the engine... but due to the loss through friction/heat (entropy), this simply isn't possible - but is a quite simple experiment you can try for yourself.

...Then there is the man who put a small Honda generator on his electric bike and extended the range from 20 to 100 miles.
Go to you tube put in bike generator and you can view it.

If you don't try you will never know...
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=24210

The small Honda generator is an outside source of energy, thus a different scenario. You're simply trading one consumed energy source for another. This does not reduce overall energy consumption, rather it's supplementing one with another, "extending the range" of the electric system only by supplanting it.

Generally speaking, the "towed generator & ebike" experimentation is an extremely difficult equation with an almost inescapable diminishing returns dilemma. The additional weight & drag of the trailer & generator itself can preclude the advantage of having one, it may consume your battery reserve faster than it can replenish it - yet if the generator is large enough to power the motor and charge the batteries simultaneously, you would get far better overall preformance and fuel efficiency/mileage by simply using an equivalent or even smaller internal combustion engine to power the vehicle directly, without the additional weight/drag & complexity of the electric generator, charging & drive system...

I'll freely admit my experimental "tribrid" system may be no less subject to this, despite the fact it's all fully incorporated as I still have the additional weight & drag factors, if lessened somewhat. Even the advantage of commercially available hybrids are still controversial in regards to overall efficiency, dependent on type & usage of course. Not to discourage experimentation by any means - please do try whatever solution you feel appropriate, I just didn't want to do you a disservice by not pointing out the inherent difficulties with such systems.

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I think there are bike generator bottles out there that are 12v- probably not as powerful as a car, but probably not as much resistence while pedalling either-

I just got a used old 6 v bottle on ebay and it really lights up the LED headlight I got from boygofast that I never could get to run off the motor's white wire.

But I was thinking- I COULD wire it into my Bell Dawn patrol- which uses 4 AA 1.5 v batterries in a series for the 6v bulb-

AND I happen to have some rechargeable AA batteries- not too expensive or hard to come by- so I'm thinking that if the generator were wired up to it right- it should also CHARGE the batteries a bit- as well as keeping the lights on when I stop moving-

I guess I could do the same with a battery case from Radio Shack, and still probably use the Boygofast LED which is really quite lightweight otherwise and really gives a good light..

I also won an entire generator set- bottle, front and rear light- for less than $10 shipped on ebay- but got pretty lucky I think.

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Like I said before, I am not trying to run a electric bike from a generator, just keeping the charge in the battery longer, this the same principle the man with the Honda generator, He try it and it worked. he just was adding to what had to keep the battery charged longer, I think you are just basing all this on theory and not any thing you have tried yourself, get with it and get your hands dirty and try it before you condemn it. People who invent don't worry about other peoples theory, they brake the mold and invent new. If not then nothing would ever get invented because everybody would be going by theory and not trying anything for themselves. Further the man overseas with the car generator on his back bicycle wheel only peddled his bike and had more then enough power to run all the lights on his bike, which was substantial, drawing meany amps to work.
I am getting way off my original thread about keeping a battery charged for starter and light use.
I am done with this tread anyway, so any other response will be ignored, because this is becoming ridiculous, just seeing who can have the last word.
An Idea is just that, try it and prove it for yourself, or just leave it. cvlt1.

A Idea in time.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you can "invent" perpetual motion, you will be rich. You will use more power than you make, or break even at best.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The OP of this thread has historically brought up a subject, asking for opinions. When those opinions are given, he has arguments against them and states he's going to do it his way, the world be-damned.

Sir, if you don't want to listen to the voice of experience and the facts of physics, why do you insist on bringing the subjects up? Do what you feel you need to do and ask for advice if you need it, but do not put people down for offering you what you originally asked for. Your age and experience is comendable, nevertheless, your quarrelsome ways are beginning to wear thin.
Tom

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
I am sorry you fell that way, I never intended to be quarrelsome in any way, just when I am call names, such as fool and such, every one has the right to present ideas, but if some one new to this forum presents one then the old ones pounce and do not want to hear any part of it.
I don't fell I have been in any way out of touch with this forum, I listen to any advice I hear and then consider it for my situation, As I am sure others do.
Ideas and dreams are what make this country the place it is.
I suppose because I don't agree with you or others like you, then I should not post in any way for fear that a idea might clash with someone like you.
Tom had said he dos not want bickering on this post, but you seem to want to Just to have your say, bickering or not.
Enough said about that and all such in fighting, I for one will not respond to any more of these childish actions and just the impotent items at hand, Life is to short for such things. flg..

Status
Not open for further replies.