How fast can your 80cc really go?

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Wow fifty mph seems pretty fast for a beach cruiser. So if the less teeth on the sprocket the faster it goes. Which sprocket teeth count do you guys think is the best option in speed and torque?

The stock one- 44T.

If you have no hills and are under 200 pounds, a 40T would seem ideal.

I have a 36T going on the next build and I don't think I will see any higher that 40-43, since the CIF bicycle motors don't have enough tourque to pull any faster.

If you decrease the number of teeth on the rear sprocket, there will come a point of diminishing returns where the engine just won't pull any more....unless youare going down hill.

freshwater

Aug 6, 2008
freshwater, how much do you weigh?
Will you ride in stop and go alot?
Do you have many hills to climb?
What speed are you looking to cruise at?
I weigh in at a whopping 135 lbs and the stop and go is pretty moderate, not too many hills around my area and I think the ideal cruising speed for me is around 20 to 25 mph... is that speed asking for too much from my motor with stock sprocket? :ride:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Your stock sprocket will be ideal for those conditions. If you had less stop and go (like I do here in the boonies) you could go to a 40T no problem.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
O.K., I just went for a spin on the "borrowed bike"- "80cc" of unknown dealer, 44T sprocket, 24:1 mix and the GPS read 28.5 mph.

It was 62 degrees F, no wind, and I made a run both ways for at least 30 seconds of WOT after I sensed no more speed gain.

The speed at which the engine "seemed comfortable" was 20 mph.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
Ive gone 38mph. on flat ground with a 36 t sprocket and some porting and tuned pipe! but can cruise 33 mph comfortably all day !

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
27t sprocket rollin on 20s im about 260 lb. i know fat man on a little bike right. and i can hit 35mph with the engine quiting on me but i have yet to port exhaust . which im sure is the money maker for these things

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
ebmvegan, I HAVE GOTTEN OUT OF A BUNCH OF SPEEDING TICKETS BECAUSE OF INACCURATE SPEEDO. WOULD TAKE VEHICLE TO SPEEDO SHOP AND GET A SLIP SAYING SPEEDO WAS OFF ENOUGH TO COMPENSATE FOR MY OVER THE LIMIT SPEED. TAKE THE SLIP TO THE COURT OFFICER BEFORE COURT DATE. SOMETIMES THEY WANT A SLIP STATING IT HAS BEEN CORRECTED.(THIS MEANS YOU HAVE TO PUT THE CORRECT GEAR BACK INTO THE TRANNY rotfl ) THIS ONLY WORKS ONCE PER VEHICLE. MY 49CC FRICTION DRIVE WITH 1 1/4 INCH DRIVE ROLLER DOES 35MPH WITH 180 LB DRIVER . IT COULD USE A MUCH LARGER DRIVE ROLLER. I GO 280 AND IT STARTS ME IN THE GRASS WITH A HALF TURN OF THE PEDDLES. LOTS OF POWER. BUT WHEN YOU GET TO 35 OR MORE I THINK THE WIND RESISTANCE IS A BIG PROBLEM !!! WHAT IS THE CONSENSUS OF OPINION ON WIND RESISTANCE ?? RON

[email protected]

Sep 12, 2008
i have a totally stock bike thats pretty old and all the gaskets are rotten on it and with no air filter parts havent been replaced in a long long time! and it gets to 40 mph. so i feel if i get some new updated performance parts i will be able to increase the mph by alot or at least i hope. anybody know where i can get a tuned pipe at?

ebmvegan, I HAVE GOTTEN OUT OF A BUNCH OF SPEEDING TICKETS BECAUSE OF INACCURATE SPEEDO. WOULD TAKE VEHICLE TO SPEEDO SHOP AND GET A SLIP SAYING SPEEDO WAS OFF ENOUGH TO COMPENSATE FOR MY OVER THE LIMIT SPEED. TAKE THE SLIP TO THE COURT OFFICER BEFORE COURT DATE. SOMETIMES THEY WANT A SLIP STATING IT HAS BEEN CORRECTED.(THIS MEANS YOU HAVE TO PUT THE CORRECT GEAR BACK INTO THE TRANNY rotfl ) THIS ONLY WORKS ONCE PER VEHICLE. MY 49CC FRICTION DRIVE WITH 1 1/4 INCH DRIVE ROLLER DOES 35MPH WITH 180 LB DRIVER . IT COULD USE A MUCH LARGER DRIVE ROLLER. I GO 280 AND IT STARTS ME IN THE GRASS WITH A HALF TURN OF THE PEDDLES. LOTS OF POWER. BUT WHEN YOU GET TO 35 OR MORE I THINK THE WIND RESISTANCE IS A BIG PROBLEM !!! WHAT IS THE CONSENSUS OF OPINION ON WIND RESISTANCE ?? RON
I believe the wind resistance (coefficient of drag) increases exponentially. Which means the faster you go the more energy you must dedicate to cutting through the air. So, YES wind resistance IS a big problem, if you mounted your motor on a torpedo or tear-shaped vehicle, it would go much faster.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Wind resistance squares for each 10 mph I believe.
Tell me I'm wrong with actual numbers and I'll stop.

I know the remnants of "Ike" blew half the skirting off my trailer and tore up a bunch of my horticulture.

Last edited:

Spikedfox

Sep 14, 2008
i once got my cruiser up to 55 miles an hour, then my freind hit is breaks and told me to let go of his door handle

Status
Not open for further replies.