CA. Law Info

GoldenMotor.com

rockonp04

Oct 1, 2010
California
I am registering my motorized bike. I got the form but I can't find the engine number for the form. Also where do i send the form and my money? What should I do about the engine number?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
ioillusion, quit worrying about who wrote the rules, and just play their game. i totally understand that you want to be 100% correct about everything, but in reality, we're dealing with pencil pushers, donut eaters, chips on their shoulders, tax collectors, and whatever other names we can give to people who try to stifle our fun. it's so much easier to play by their rules, since they don't even know how to play the game. why complicate it?

rockonp04, i use the bicycle serial number with an "E" in front of it for the engine number. for example, if my bike's serial number is 666999, i'd put the engine number as E666999. i also use an engraver tool to put those numbers on the motor, but you probably don't have to go that far...

oh, and read the form. it tells you where to send it. it's somewheres in sacramento, i think...

Last edited:

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
in CA if your bike does not go above 30mph or have an automatic transmission with 2 hp or capable of being pedaled by human or have 2 or 3 wheels, if you answered no to any of those 4 questions legally it is not considered a motorized bicycle so you do not need registration.

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
yea, my bad misread, i am going to be sending in my 19 dollars to get my plates, anyone know if i need an m1 or m2 license? or just plates.

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
You actually got a moped liscence for your bicycle? What part of California do you ride your bike? I live in Modesto, and before I put a motor on my bicycle, I want to make sure that I know the laws ...

I still want to be able to ride my bicycle (without the motor running) on the sidewalks, and other areas, where motorized vehicles may be prohibited.

Is there any legal problem with riding motorized bicycles when the motor is not operating? Or do the restrictions apply once you have attached the motor, even if it is not running?

I really want to have an electric motor than will push my Electra Townie faster than 20-25mph. I would like to be able to go at least 35-40mph. Although, I will not ride that fast all the time, just when I'm commuting on country roads where the speed limit is faster than 35mph.

I was reading through the California laws regarding mopeds and motorized bicycles, and it doesn't seem to be specific enough .... or is there a more thorough version of the law that gives more details?
It is NEVER legal to ride ANY bicycle on a sidewalk!!