NT carbs normally leak gas?

GoldenMotor.com

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Does the NT carb normally leak around the gasket and screws? i always noticed fuel on my carb and whenever i take th carb off and tun it, the gas from inside pours out easily. Does the gasket need to be changed to a better quality one? I jus used sealant to seal the screws to keep gas from comin out the screws. Also can this carb wit the way it is cause an air leak in the motor besides the normal spots found? today i sealed the manifold to cylinder wall with gasket maker and i have a carb gasket ring i put in the carb and also a gasket behind the spring of the throttle cable.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's possible the gasket is pinched in between the bowl and the carb, they fit in there pretty tight.
taking the screws off should tell you right away.

if it's just a little fuel and dirt, that's normal. fuel will spit out of the carb and drip down from the air cleaner.

as for leaks, sounds like you've got it covered.

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
it's possible the gasket is pinched in between the bowl and the carb, they fit in there pretty tight.
taking the screws off should tell you right away.

if it's just a little fuel and dirt, that's normal. fuel will spit out of the carb and drip down from the air cleaner.

as for leaks, sounds like you've got it covered.
yea im hoping i got all the leaks! wont be able to tell till i can ride it

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
when the bowl gasket is straight & tight it should not leak at all from there

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
You have to take the bowl off at the bottom with the float, and then bend the two flimsy metal prongs that the float pushes up dOWN a little bit so that the float closes them sooner.

Yes- I too have had problems with BOTH my builds- a 66 and a 50 with NT SPEED carbs suddenly, inexplicably leaking fuel- and quite a bit. So I'm not so high on them, but never used anything else but the old NT carb before that- which bogged down a bit on the 66 until I got a straight billet intake.

So now it seems there may be a fine line- the 50 build was doing it first- it took me a couple of times bending the metal prongs- and then it seemed that the motor was bogging on long stretches like it wasn't then getting ENOUGH gas- that sorta went away on it's own then

Then the 66 started leaking the same way- I bent ONCE, it leaked again at first, and I bounced the bike a few times in case the floatl was stick in the bowl-

it stopped leaking and hasn't since- but that motor never wants to idle well, unless it's very fast , And it bothers me that I have to choke the motor so much now- I never had to do that with the old standard NT carb and intake, but then again, it bogged down at speed.

One thing I found in the process was that the NT SPEED carbs have a float and bowl IDENTICAL to the old NT strandard I have around, though I think they advertised as a bigger bowl and float- anyway the jet and intake are a bit bigger.

May try some other carb some day, but doubt it. Don't want to spend money OR tinkler with it much these days- it just gets me around all over town.

Last edited:

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
before you do the above I just had same problem and for some reason turning
the idle screw in to much was forcing fuel from primer button (not sure why)
making it look as if the gasket were leaking, backed out on idle screw
and no leaking. see if you can make sense of that.
NT carb 49cc grubee

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Back to your question; are you seeing the leak when riding or when the bike is parked.
Are you using the fuel shut-off (petcock) ? Closing it when not riding?
Do you have a fuel filter. Dirt in the fuel can get in the float needle valve holding it open.

Repeated removal of the float bowl can compromise the gasket and a crack in the float can cause it to fill with fuel and sink thereby leaving the float valve (needle valve) open which will give you a problem with fuel dripping.

Tom

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
its only a little and its only when parked. nothing that i need to be alarmed about bht was jus wondering. I do not have a fuel filter but i think i should go buy one. Fuel lever is always closed wit the choke up when ipark the bike. Idle screw is good cuz if i go lower the bike jus dies cuz the rpms arent high enough

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
its only a little and its only when parked. nothing that i need to be alarmed about bht was jus wondering. I do not have a fuel filter but i think i should go buy one. Fuel lever is always closed wit the choke up when ipark the bike. Idle screw is good cuz if i go lower the bike jus dies cuz the rpms arent high enough
Still sounds like need to adjust the float a little lower. Especially if you carb is at much of an angle.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
adjusting the float shouldn't do anything for a leak.

the float keeps the gas at a certain level, below the gasket on the carb.

the fuel can't get over the top of the float unless the float is cracked and full of fuel, sinking it, or the fuel is left on, overpowering it, but then it most likely would drip out of the the throat, or into the intake port.

in other words, leave the float tabs alone!

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
Almost all of my carbs, even brand new ones have leaked. I tried for weeks to try to remedy it. Changed gaskets, adjusted the float, tightened the crap out of the screws that hold the bowl on, nothing seemed to matter for me. Then I just started turning off the petcock when I parked and the problem stopped.

It only happened when parked and it was only enough to cause a few drips on the garage floor but my wife didn't appreciate the smell.