Flying Horse Crap!!!

GoldenMotor.com

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Well, if it's your typical Chinese engine, you're not going to get Japanese quality when it comes to them. At least you are in the right place to learn about these little engines-and no, they are NOT all perfect.

As with everything.......Hindsight is 20/20!

Don't give up hope because everything is fixable with these things!

.wee.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, roll the dice and buy some more...

laff

Ya know, if the thing even runs, you are doing good. Really, I was somewhat amazed that mine took off and ran great from clutch dump 1. After replaceing all the stuff that was crap and looking at the product up close and reading the truth here, I was pleasantly surprised when it fired right up and powered me down the road.

But 1 was enough. I know all I want to know about happy time bike engines. When this one dies, it's going in the trash, I'm not even going to try to fix it.

There are so many better ways to go.

Last edited:

Farthom

May 16, 2010
Canada
Was it "Toy's 4 Boys"? One of my orders from bikeberry.com got redirected to these guys. I do like how they are local (I live in Edmonton, only 3 hours away) but the engine kits are pretty poor. I ordered 5. Built only one bike so far, and have encountered the following crap:

Same large mount issue. I just mounted it on as is, no ubolt. Seems to be fine.

Clutch pads crappy, squeal from day 1. Still havent fixed this.

The large metal disc inside the clutch, was lopsided, and made contact with the gears. Needed to be shaved down.

Carb jet too small.

Carb fuel shut off valve randomly doesnt work, and makes a mess.

Next to nothing is lubricated properly from the start.... messed up my clutch pin mandrel.

Kill switch dosent have any kind of plug ends on the wires. Its just bare wire

Other positives:

The chain that came with it appears to be heavier duty, but I havent used one yet.

Idler pulley has a bearing.

All screws use hex nuts instead!

Paint job seems much higher quality than my last engine kit.

So yeah, the kits aern't unworkable, but they are definitely not top quality!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
From everything I have read, it sounds like you got typical Chinese kits.
Not all of them are packaged correctly.
Not all of them will run right out of the box.
Not all of them actually match the description given in the advertisement.
None of them cost $600+ and have the quality that comes along with a $600+ engine.
(Think Morini).

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't know what kits you are building. I have never experienced the problems I have with these kits.

I used to pay $110 per kit. These were good kits with no problems. Now I pay $189 per kit and I have experienced the worst of problems with these.

I'm here to just let others know to beware. As the saying goes, "Buyers beware".
What made you choose these paticular crappy kits?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Caveat Emptor!

As the EPA laws get harder and more costly for the factories to comply to, fewer and fewer are able to export the kits to the States. This basically leaves one company that still imports them. As of recent, they seem to have gotten careless concerning quality control and the quality has certainly suffered. That is why it is more important now than ever to deal with reputable vendors who will correct kit errors and warranty poor quality components.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I wonder if this problem was caused by the Flying Horse factory, or was it the Canadian distributor. Generally Flying Horse motors are held in high regard. I have experience with 2 Flying Horse 48cc kits and although they were a little noisy mechanically, both motors have proven to be dependable and good running after 1000 miles of use so far. Both kits were purchased from Zoom bicycles in Canada, about a week apart. This was last September. Both kits came from the factory with exactly the same contents in the box.

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
I bought my engine from toys4boys, sure it wasn't perfect, but I don't think they ever are!
I dont understand why the op seems to think a flying horse kit out of calli would be any different than one shipped from Canaland.
Op I guess you should have bought a ton of the kits at 110 !