ignorant drivers thread !!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
guys we are on small motorized bicycles compared to giant heavy cars and trucks. right or wrong what they do I expect it sadly enough to say, I keep an eye on my rearview mirror and a car I don't trust is coming up my rear I pull off the side of the road and let them pass. I see someone at an intersection I stop and let them go or I go around behind them. we hit I am the one that will be hurting not them so I am cautious as heck. I am old and I hate pain
Very oblivious to us little guys. Then they say "motorized bicycles aren't safe, you're going 40mph on a bike blaha blah" SAYS THE GUY going 95 on his harley in shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt on a freeway where the limit is 65mph. The nerve of some people. I almost never feel safe on my motorized bicycle and ride mostly back roads when possible.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
guys we are on small motorized bicycles compared to giant heavy cars and trucks. right or wrong what they do I expect it sadly enough to say, I keep an eye on my rearview mirror and a car I don't trust is coming up my rear I pull off the side of the road and let them pass. I see someone at an intersection I stop and let them go or I go around behind them. we hit I am the one that will be hurting not them so I am cautious as heck. I am old and I hate pain

The laws may give the right of way to pedestrians, then cyclists, then 4+ wheelers, but I always consider the right of weight aspect. It's 2800-3800 lbs of vehicle (passenger, not commercial) vs. 220-350 lbs of combined bike/rider. It's pretty clear who will lose, like anytime you hear about an 18-wheeler and a motorcycle in a crash. If they're bigger than me, I'm happy to let them go first. I learned a few years ago that although in my mind nothing much had changed about me for a long time, my body doesn't bounce anymore.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
that incident has caused me to lay off the motorbiking some ! that was the 5th time i have been in a crash or near crash since i picked up cycling ! by cycling i mean even pedal bikes. i ride bolth on the regular pedal power, and motor power when i feel like i want the extra thrill... or just want to get to point a faster.

but srsly ... i now only ride my motor bike to work and back and i do it very carfully and in fear of being hit !!!

i used to drive my car as if every person on the road was a cop, this made me drive carefully all the time , it made me drive as if there was a cop behind me at all times.

now when i motorbike, i ride as if every car is going to hit me ! i now just pretend that nobody can see me! and even the people who i know can see me, i think they are going to hit me if i let them ! and then i drive acordingly, always giving the right of way and making shure to keep my distace from cars and trucks!

no more will i drive on the road as if i was on a regular vehical ! even though i am all legal and registered and have the right to, i do not do it because the drivers dont feel like you should have that right and will try to take it from you every chance they get !

now for an interesting fact.... i have found that big truck drivers...... are the best ! they seem to always give you the right of way and slow down to let you pass ! big truck drivers i have found are far more aware of there suroundings and far more conciouse of you than even the best car driver ! big truckers alway see me and are always curdious to me !

in my town of woburn ma.... the down town traffic aria is so bad that on my way to work a 4pm..... once i reach down town i cut off the motor and pedal slowly on the sidwalk in fear of being hit, that is untill i pass down town and reach the main road !

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
When I say I don't like to go faster than 20 I mean it. Not because the bike is unstable or no capable, but because the cars are not expecting you to be going 20 let alone 30.

Even though most of the roads here have nice bike lanes where I don't have to worry about being run down there are still lots of cross streets and left turn lanes.

Even if they see you coming they are not expecting you to be going 30 and will turn or pull out right in front of you because they think they have enough time. You know, because bikes do 10 to 15.

So I don't like going fast and am a life member of the "20 MPH Club"

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I got passed in my neighborhood by some housewife in a brick Volvo wagon recently. The speed limit is 25, and I was going at least that ;), she still felt compelled to pass me in the oncoming lane in a double yellow and speed down the road at 45. Now I know why they put up a radar sign in my suburban neighborhood once in a while, its not the kids or hotrodders they're after, its the stupid, negligent, oblivious idiots who feel they can do whatever as long as they're driving a bland family car. I live in a suburb which is very rural, and it really is the worst place to speed, and all the people I see hauling around are in mini-SUV's or station wagons, the exact people who shouldn't push their luck because of their lack of attention to driving. Some people are just so completely lost behind the wheel, that they don't even think twice pulling dangerous and negligent maneuvers.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You gotta be a little self-aware when you're driving some of these European cars. A Volvo may not be a Ferrari, but it's no sluggard either. If you forget to look at your speedo, you could find yourself mindlessly cruising along at a big-ticket pace. And when it comes time to stop that thing, if you're allowing for a 25 mph stopping distance when you're actually doing 45, you're going to need that crumple zone. And any guy you hit is gonna need your insurance money.
I've had coworkers who owned Volvos; those cars do way, WAY more than 45. Even the emissions-controlled ones they ship to the US will surprise you.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
It really doesn't make it any better, passing someone who's claiming the lane going at least the speed limit, going at twice the speed limit and crossing over a double yellow in front of driveways on a narrow two lane suburban road where kids, pedestrians, and animals run about freely. I don't see why she was in such a hurry to get home, maybe she had a case of diarrhea or something, lol!

There's a time and place for speed, I'm into German cars so I know all about it, but this neighborhood is a perfect example of the dumbest place to drive like that.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Her phone battery had probably died and see needed to get home and check facebroke......

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I think a lot of it has to do with people not wanting to be behind your homebuilt tinkertoy of a vehicle. You know when the fender winds the spokes up and throws you to the ground. Or the motor bursts into flames and turns you into a human fireball.

They don't want to be involved. They don't want to run over your body and get any gore on their cars. They don't want to be there when the police arrive. They are scared.

Move over, let them go by. Make it easy.

You don't want to near these people either yes?

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Ummm, speak for yourself. I'm not exactly Punky Brewster with a big ol box strapped to my rack! rotfl

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I always do.

Claim all the lanes you want. I really don't care. I'm in no hurry so it won't be me passing you.

It's those other guys you have to worry about.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I don't worry, just stated an example of the finely uneducated drivers who roam the streets of CA, after getting their licenses without any formal driver education, and just barely passing the written and driving portions of their license tests driving around the block using turn signals and performing a parallel parking maneuver. I've never been anywhere with so many grown up 25+ year old kids still living with their parents, who don't know how to operate a car, forget about manual transmissions!

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
This is where video comes in real handy. If you have a helmet cam then you can record the event. Try to get the tag number and the person driving if you can. Then turn it into the police. Lots of cyclist are doing this here in Tennessee. When the idiots start paying steep fines, increased insurance rates and/or lose their license maybe this kind of behavior will stop.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
It's really good here in CA. I'm from Detroit. People there would tell you to get off the road and toss beer cans at you as they went by.

Nope, not kidding. When I got here I stepped into the road waiting for traffic to pass and a guy stopped. Crap. Is he waiting for me to advance so he can run me over?

Nope, just being nice. That doesn't happen in Detroit.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Sometimes that niceness can be a bad thing, it really screws people up when someone stops when they shouldn't and waves as it confuses the right-of-way.

Detroit sounds horrible, if I rode there I'd strap a samurai sword to my bike or have a heavy length of chain a swangin', lol!

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
It was a side street and I was jaywalkin.

I was a young man of 23 just out of school and in Costa Mesa, CA. My new home.

They don't stop for jaywalkers in Detroit. We know this too. We like to get off the curb so we can start running on level ground.

Caught me totally off guard. Almost wanted to hand the guy some crap for confusing me - :)

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Great picture 16v4nrbrgr :D

Of course I've now sworn off using weapons, but in my sword art studying days I nearly always had a sword with me. Sometimes it was a blunt practice sword, sometimes a semi-sharp, but you do tend to get an element of respect when you've got a katana tied to your backpack.
When I was still working as a social worker I would practice most lunchtimes in the clinic conference room and I guess that helped me a lot when it came to getting through a stressful day.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I'd like to get a wooden katana to learn some sword art for the stress relief and fitness benefits. I'd prolly chop off an appendage messing around with a steel bladed one in the learning process, although I'm pretty handy with a machete and a hatchet around the household chores, lol! Bladed weapons are scary stuff.

Last edited: