Getting legal

GoldenMotor.com

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Live in Southern California. Anyone know about license, helmet, and insurance? Not to be a downer.
To sum it up,
Drivers license with an M2 or M1 endorsement.
DOT helmet.
$20 one time fee license plate.
Left side mirror, horn, lights.

Insurance isn't needed.

A downer is when you get pulled over in Newport Beach, get a hefty ticket and maybe get your bike impounded. :D

Welcome to the forum, neighbor. :)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
getting legal in CA is pretty simple. the plate and the dot helmet is the main thing to look legal.

you can get a M1 permit at the dmv. good for a year.

there's a few good thread with all the legal info, just use the search box.

as far as mileage, you should be able to make it to the beach and back if you have the larger tank. i went from costa mesa to belmont shores and back with fuel left over.

my bike averages about 70 miles to the tank. it can vary wildly, depending on headwinds, hills, and traffic.

long trips i usually bring some extra oil, gas it up at the pump and shake the bike around to mix it.

and yeah, watch out for newport. those cops don't mess around.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Probaly... if you pedal it like half t of the time.
Depending on your size and weight the stock kit tanks are good for around 40ish miles... Remember that the tanks are like couple liters, Vendors claim 80+ miles to the gallon, but that if your a feather weight, with tail wind, and no hills

EDIT: And How much do you weigh bairdco, i was talking to Easy Rider a while back and he said your about half my size... and i weigh 260 lol

Last edited:

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Probaly... if you pedal it like half t of the time.
Depending on your size and weight the stock kit tanks are good for around 40ish miles... Remember that the tanks are like couple liters, Vendors claim 80+ miles to the gallon, but that if your a feather weight, with tail wind, and no hills

EDIT: And How much do you weigh bairdco, i was talking to Easy Rider a while back and he said your about half my size... and i weigh 260 lol
New at this motor bicycle business. Yes, I have my doubts about that 125-150 mpg. Really can't see me driving more than 40 miles in a day but have a spare tank on the way. I really would like a bigger tank around 1 gallon but do not want it too big for gas to sit in the tank too long. I will keep it as is unless I can come across a really great tank at a really great price.

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
My pet goose rides on my handlebars... mean and LOUD that son of a gun is!

Are you serious? I am quite familiar with geese. I'd rather face a rattlesnake. Those things just scare the explicative out of me when attacking. They look wicked. I've been told all you have to do is put your had under their neck. I'm not sticking around to find out. I run.

May 9, 2013
Laguna Beach, Ca.
I was totally kidding about the goose thing. When I was a kid I used to see several businesses that used them for quite effective watch"dogs" I learned at a young age to give geese a very wide berth.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Thank you. That was very helpful. I take it this horn ain't the squeeze type. So getting legal's a real labor of love9zpt
The best horn I've found (so far) is the AirZound air horn. Mine looks a little different from the pictured one, but it is loud enough for a truck driver to be able to hear you when you're alonside them. A short 'toot' will usually penetrate the earphones of most pedestrians, too. Before you order one check your local bike shops, they usually aren't hard to find.