Time to give up?

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
"
I'd really like to see how the front of the engine was mounted. You weren't using rubber in the mounts, were you?. That frame failure would be consistant with the front mount not being solid enough to keep the engine from vibrating. That is a stress failure caused by something being much too loose and allowed to vibrate against the frame.

My guess would be that the front mount fastener failure contributed to the damage I see to the seat tube. How long did you ride the bike with the broken mount?"

Looks to me just the opposite- just overtightened- damaged by the tightening itself and/or high revving then.

and this is why I'm a fan of the small back sprocket- the biugger gear it gives one keeps the motor from revving so much to get the same speed- less revs= less vibration, and less wear and tear on all the motor parts. With an alloy 34 and light skinny wheels- I can run 30 with little stress on the motor at all- at 35 it's buzzing along more than I want it too- and further mods that may make the motor crank even more are not worth it, if you want something that will last.

I ALWAYS put rubber in the mounts and have never had a problem with two builds in four years now.

I don't see how a lot of guys here claim thery are doing that or higher with a 44 or 41 China Girl kit sprocket and fat tires. If they are, I have my doubts that their motor will go very far without rebuilding.

Last edited:

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
So I've decided to buy a Huffy Cranbrook (bronze), sand it down and paint it to be black or grey. Also purchase a cheapo kit off eBay ($130ish).

From what I've read, it should be a quite easy build (especcially as the motor fits right on) -- any one there to say that's a bad idea?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
So I've decided to buy a Huffy Cranbrook (bronze), sand it down and paint it to be black or grey. Also purchase a cheapo kit off eBay ($130ish).

From what I've read, it should be a quite easy build (especcially as the motor fits right on) -- any one there to say that's a bad idea?
There's a high probability that you'll have more frame problems if you use a Huffy! :(

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
You might also need some of the universal u bolt mounts since most modern cruisers have the large down tube.

Just keep an eye out on CL, be patient deals always come up.
I almost picked a complete Felt Red baron for 65 bucks !... almost

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
There's a high probability that you'll have more frame problems if you use a Huffy! :(
. . . damnit.

You might also need some of the universal u bolt mounts since most modern cruisers have the large down tube.

Just keep an eye out on CL, be patient deals always come up.
I almost picked a complete Felt Red baron for 65 bucks !... almost
Yeah, I've also been looking on craigslist, just put up a wanted ad.
I doubt I'll be able to find a GOOD deal though, just a decent deal.

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego
Just keep an open mind, you never know when a lump of coal is hiding a diamond

Just because a bike is rusted or neglected doesn't mean it can't be brought back to life

Although sometimes, a diamond is handed to you on a silver platter if you wait long enough

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Just keep an open mind, you never know when a lump of coal is hiding a diamond

Just because a bike is rusted or neglected doesn't mean it can't be brought back to life

Although sometimes, a diamond is handed to you on a silver platter if you wait long enough
I like that...
well I just got an email for $120, 1960's Huffy with this picture.... if I can get thme to go to $100, should I go for it or be patient?

PS. I'm partially colorblind and it gets worse on electronic screens -- is that red or brown?

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
ocho ninja & VIKTR have really good points, a lil patience & granted, some luck and you'll find a bike far better than a $100 wallyworld special.

I got this '43 Rollfast for the same price as a Cranbrook;

...and last summer I got this '41 Elgin for a whopping $35 at a local flea market;

Good luck hunting, they're out there ;)

edit: That 60's Huffy isn't bad, better than most new bikes for the money - I'd want to wheedle them down a bit given it's not that old or collectable (& I'm cheap) but on the other hand it seems really clean & in good shape... if it's that or a box store bike I'd go for it, they'd prolly talk down some in any case. The 60's are tricky as it seems that's when some bikes got a lil flimsier/cheaper in construction methods, but that's defo before Huffy turned to total cheese - I'd want to look at it close before throwing down me pennies, but I'm like that w/everything lol

...& it looks red to me :)

Last edited:

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego
I'd be patient.

If I were you, I would get something free to get mobile again. After you get a free frame, keep saving your money and keep an eye out for something you like that comes at a bargain deal.

Last edited:

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego
A last bit of advice is to be cheap and only offer a price you want to pay.

If your budget is $0, then you want to pay $0

If your budget is $100, you still want to pay $0... but may settle for what's reasonable.

Good luck :)

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Wow, those are good deals... I'll pass on this Huffy and wait, maybe check out my local flea market this saturday (although I've heard they sell stolen bikes :( )

and thansk for the advice vktr, will keep that in mind

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just to add, I have found some killer deals at thrift stores. My much better half laughs at me for not being able to drive past a Salvation Army or the like. Once found a 1950 cruiser for $8. It was marked down as it was missing the left pedal.

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego
The other day my dad found a complete e-bike that someone was throwing away. Tomorrow I'll be picking up to see what needs to be fixed or what can be salvaged from it.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
It never hurts to keep your eyes open. I just hauled a twenty incher out of the local creek. When the water level went down a bit after raining buckets for a few days, it showed its handlebars.
The frame & paint were in good shape. The tires still had tread and held air. But the seat was all torn up. So: new seat, adjusted chain, pulled weeds out of everyplace, cleaned her up (girl's bike) and greased her up. And then I brought in my beautiful third daughter, Kassandra, who'd outgrown her old bike. She ADORED it. I adjusted it for her, and let her try it out. More adjusting and so forth. Now she rides it around and loves it dearly. And it cost me nothing. Nil. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Well, it cost me a new seat, a tube of grease, and an elbow of grease. :)

If you have a metal recycling dealer (in Kansas City, Kansas, USA, the place is 1153 S. 12th St. Kansas City, KS 66105) that takes aluminum, and you watch the line of vehicles going in, you'll see plenty of bikes about to be sold for scrap. (In fact, many bikes are stolen just for the scrap value of the Al frame.)
If you see something you can use that's not too deep in a load, you can make the thief, err, seller an offer easily more than the scrap value.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree with nehmo, I hang aroung the local scrapyards evertime I get a chance. You can buy bikes from scrappers for pennies on the dollar! $5 bucks for a frame is better than 3 cents scrap price so the scrappers will almost always deal. I once saw a guy buy a whole trailer load of at least 50 bikes for $50 bucks. I was so mad he beat me to it!
Don't give up!