Ignition issue

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Hey guys

Here's what's going on.. Over the last couple of days I seem to have been having a little power loss. On my way home from work yesterday, when I grabbed the clutch to make a short tight turn the motor died out. I tried to restart on the other side of the street and it wouldn't. Once I got home I checked everything I could quickly (fuel and air flow is good, throttle moves, etc), had the plug out and confirmed compression, checked with a new plug (and the one that was in it) and it doesn't seem to be getting spark. I've checked the ignition wire and it seems good, so I'm guessing it's either the CDI or the magneto that's gone funny. I can borrow the CDI from my second build if I need to, and might be able to get parts on Monday if I have to.

I'm about to head out to the garage and scratch my head over it for a bit. I'm thinking first I'll disable the kill switch and see if that's part of the problem. I should be able to check the power out of the magneto with the voltmeter walking it up and down the lane. What else should or could I check for?

Thanks

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I should add that it was slightly rainy here Thursday, and the bike was outside in it but the magneto cover and plug boot and CDI's plug wire connection were siliconed the previous weekend. It started the afternoon it had been wet, the morning and afternoon after as well (died after the third start). The only visible effect of the light rain was a few rust specs on the exhaust pipe where it had to be heated to put a slight bend in it.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Okay, update.. I checked voltage from the white wire from the magneto, no problem there. Checked voltage on the black and blue wires, nothing. Switch white for black from the magneto going into the CDI and it runs again. I had the magneto cover off, nothing looks bad but my continuity tester is glitched so until I mock up a replacement I can't check anything that way.

(...and had three more people stop to check it out while the garage door was open :) )