End of an Era?

GoldenMotor.com

Rambler

Jul 25, 2009
U.S.A.
I was just on Gasbike.net, and I noticed that most of the bicycle engines advertised on their website were listed as (discontinued), the others were all (out of stock).

Is this the end of the Grubee bicycle engine? Are we at the end of an era? Will the other manufacturers fall? Will we be stuck with limited range E-bikes, and relegated to using only modified weed whacker and chainsaw engines if we want better range for our bicycles?

I for one will miss the convenience of buying an economically priced kit and strapping it straight onto a bicycle, if this is truly the end of the era.

Does anyone have information on what is going on? I will be investigating tomorrow and will keep you informed about what I find.

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
You know, I was just thinking of posting some similar kind of thread- all at once the vendors have shrunk-

I was wondering if it was because of popularity, or just the opposite?

When Spooky Tooth disappeared, it seemed like everybody else got lean too-

I was going to ask if maybe some vendors wanted to comment- what's happening?

Have stocks run out, or is this activity dying out a little bit frm when I did my first build 2 1/2 years ago now?

dirt

Aug 13, 2011
United States
They don't update their web site very well. Those are older models that they should just remove from the pages. I just got a 48cc two stoke from them. They are also out of all their bikes but one. You just have to call and ask what they have available. Their phone system is terrible as well. The people are actually pretty helpful once you finally get to talk to a real person.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
OP forgot about 4-strokes. So what if there were no more chinagirls? You can easily buy a 4-stroke engine or engine and kit and you won't have to constantly wonder if your engine is going to blow up on the next mile or not.

I wouldn't miss em. Chinagirls cannot compare to the reliability of a 4-stroke industrial engine. Not even close. I had a lot of happy times with chinagirls, but when I sum it all up, my 4-stroke delivers a far better experience.

LifeSeemsDead

Jul 21, 2011
SoTX
It sounds like the world will sound better now. No more random swatting at unseen pissed off bumble bees crossbred with angry chainsaws...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I think dirt is closest to nailing the problem as there's certainly no shortage of demand, I see it as hardly "the end of an era" but one that's reaching all new heights - our forum's member base is evidence enough of that. I suspect motorized bicycles have never been this commonplace - and with fuel prices, the economy & environmental awareness also reaching their own sordid peaks, I can't help but presume that if anything they'll only become more popular.

While the China Girls have their allure, the world hardly revolves around them & while they have their problems - I suspect this one, another "shortage" is far more about inventory mismanagement than anything else. There's always been dry spells, many of these vendors are hardly ideal business models & add in importer shenanigans and it's really no surprise they're frequently "out of stock" w/all sorts of excuses during the riding season, yet always flush with all sorts of kits in the cold, wet winter months, when plummeting prices & discounts abound.

Who knows what sort of problems they've gotten themselves into? Does it even matter? Given the sheer demand for the product even despite it's issues, the profit margin despite it's low price - as others have mentioned there will always be something to fill the gap, even if it's not that particular vendor or even the China Girl itself.

This hobby isn't about the merchants, never has been. It's not even about the availability of kits, they're just a convenience. It's about the builds, the rides & the people that enjoy them - and we're only getting stronger ;)

Last edited:

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I like my angry chainsaws, thankyou! ;)

The world does need more bumblebees though, but that's a topic for another thread.
Are you referring to these?

Bumble Bee Bolt On Bicycle Engine kits, Friction Drive Motorized bicycle Kits which fits the majority of bike frames

That's the problem with the few American kits that are made; they're not as powerful and they're almost twice as expensive.

The HT engines are so simple, I don't see any reason why they couldn't be built in the USA. They're no more bad for the environment than your average car.

Somehow, I doubt that this is the end of Chinese HT kits.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
no one has mentioned that the Grubee Skyhawks are the only motors that have EPA compliance to be shipped into USA, and that's only because Gasbike ponied up the 50k to do it. now they basically have the monopoly on china bike engines.

the chinese factories are still pumping out motors, they just cant legally ship them here.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Does anyone know the criteria for what makes an engine comply to EPA standards? I find it hard to believe that a Grubee 2-stroke engine could have significantly cleaner output than any other 2-stroke bike engine. Is it just about whoever's willing to pay the highway robbery fees?

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
It would really be a shame if they all of a sudden stopped selling the 2 smokes. There is just something about running one of them that makes me feel good! The 4 strokes are a good second choice. Battery powered just don't make it for me. Nothing against them though.

Terry

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I have never owned a china 2 stroke, not counting the one my son left parked behind the garage when he split for Oregon, but I'd be sad to see them phased out.

They at least are a fit size wise for motor assisted bicycles, small engines 49/66 ccs, and in the ballpark for the whole MAB thing. Without them I would guess we'll see the acceleration of mission creep to small block V8s.

Rambler

Jul 25, 2009
U.S.A.
Ok, so here's what I found out. The lady at Nationwide Access Product Information told me that they are still importing the 2-strokes. Though they are currently out of stock, they should be getting some more in a few weeks.

I hope that the powers that be see fit to allow us our little 2 strokes. I know that I love mine (a 48cc starfire), it's got 1950 miles on it

I'd love to see an American manufacturing company take up the gauntlet, and produce some engines as well.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I just enjoy the 2 stroke HT. I will continue to build using them until they no longer exist.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I can feel the keyboards burning from here. Here is what I was told by someone that knows. The tree huggers have found a way too stop the import of 2 stroke motors. All 2 stroke motors. I have had this info for over a year. To avoid being flamed, hated,ect I have said nothing. I purchased a Echo Weed eater last summer and the person that owns the store told me after December 31, 2011 if I ever need another it will be a heavier 4 stroke. We will still be able to get parts, ect. Just not new motors. Don't bother to ask where this info came from. I respect others. Echo I think is made in the USA. Production to stop of the 2stroke models will be Jan 1 2012. I have enough faith in these people I got 5 motors for me. If anyone knows different please let us know. (c)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
To tell the truth I don't think we have anything to worry about because, I don't think our gubberment has enough backbone to tell China they can't import anything they want to us. Not only China, how about any fortune 500 company. And even if they do, I doubt the ban would hold.

I'm seeing a lot of brand new looking motor kits made in 2009 being sold on eBay. I think the new law is actually hurting Grubee because now he's stuck with a bunch of crappy epa kits that run like poopoo, and everyone else is selling good running new old stock "2009" kits. They probably have enough "2009" kits to last 100 years lol.