What does resistive carbon wire look like?

GoldenMotor.com

Mercury

Jul 31, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm replacing the spark plug wire on my new Grubee St5. The new wire that I bought at an auto parts store has many tiny white filaments within the core of the black silicone insulation. I can't find any wire in there, just these filaments. Are these filaments the resistive carbon wire?
Mercury

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I'm replacing the spark plug wire on my new Grubee St5. The new wire that I bought at an auto parts store has many tiny white filaments within the core of the black silicone insulation. I can't find any wire in there, just these filaments. Are these filaments the resistive carbon wire?
Mercury
Yes, go to a lawnmower parts/repair shop. They should have wire core, also on a old lawnmower, that is where I got mine.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Almost all wire you'll get from an auto parts stores today will be resistance wire. As Al suggested try a lawn mower repair shop or a motorcycle shop for metallic core (preferably copper) ignition wire.

There are some resistance wires available that say they are of lower resistance than metallic wire but we dinosaurs prefer real metal to the so called high performance resistance wire.
I bought 10 feet from a roll from a Quest Auto Parts store that had it on a forgotten back shelf.
Good luck.
Tom