What is different about painting plastic

GoldenMotor.com

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
I have a moped with plastic fenders. The fenders are not a brittle plastic but are quite flexible. What is the process for painting them?
I know there are spray paints available for plastic, but if I wanted to use custom paint what is required? Additives? Special primer or bonder?
I'd appreciate your input but also if there is a good website.
Thanks.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I wipe down the plastic with thinner. Then use one very light coat of plastic primer paint..like rustoleum.Then you can top coat it with what you want.Always do a sample just to make sure.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
There's a product called Plasticoat. Nothing works better on plastics than this paint I have found.

One piece of advice, use the same paint system for all the coats you put on. It vastly lowers the chance of orange peel, cracks and other related painting problems.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Krylon fusion requires no painting or priming. I recently used it to repaint a tire, and it worked great. It is made for plastic, but probably works on other flexible materials. I know I painted my tire off the bike and reinflated it after painting, and the paint didn't crack or flake.