51 schwinn panther build

GoldenMotor.com

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
well guy's ,i had a great day with the sun and the testing of bike went even better ,at first it was going ok but knew it was wanting more fuel so i checked the plug's and both were lean so i up the jet to a 74 and man it was a new machine but with a little more tuning and still a little lean at the moment so tomorrow the little HT engine is getting what it needs with a 76 jet and a new retard tune to match but over all i was a very happy boy with the new panther ,and the seating feels better then i thought it would with the bar's like they are ,couple more picture's after the day of playing round cheer's all dance1

Attachments

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
there was one thing i should of done better that is a different drum brake up front ,it's a 70mm drum and man it is hopeless i guess you can adjust these thing's inside .?doe's anyone know ...

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Mick,
Your Panther looks so good. That's a nice, clean build. The homely little China girl has a hot looking big sister I never knew about, it seems.

Regarding the 70mm drum brake. What kind is it? Much as I like the looks of drum brakes (I use them, too), my experience with them is disappointing in their stopping power. If yours is new it may well improve with kind of "seating in" through use, but don't expect a lot from it. I've experience with three makes in that size. This is my experience and maybe somebody else would rate the three differently. I've had a couple of the worksman and neither is much good. The wheels are good and the brake might be OK for a pedal bike, but not for what we're doing. The Sturmey Archer is noticeably better, but is still nothing to write home about. I understand that the bigger Sturmey Archer (90mm) is pretty good, but don't have personal experience so can't say how much better. I have also cleaned up old Atom hubs made in France and in 70mm they are better than the Worksman or the Sturmey Archer. Still not enough though if you've got some weight to stop at speed.

People swear by disc brakes and they are no doubt superior. Your bike would still look good using disc. Just last night I finished lacing up a replacement wheel for my heavy Panther with the sidecar. The new 11 gauge spokes came yesterday from HUsky bicycles. 9.5" long and fifty of them for $19.00 before shipping. The hub has been salvaged from an old Honda 55 trail bike and is beefy, 6" in diameter and looks to be very well made. I hope it works half way as good as it looks. I'll post a photo of the wheel when I have one. So, it may be that you will need to change out that wheel and use it on something else. Take a look around at light motorcycle hubs. Maybe something from a 125CC that was meant for racing. Even ones that look scuzzy will clean up nicely and look like new again. Or go disc. That's all I can suggest.
Nice job on the bike, mate.
SB

Last edited:

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
G'day there Sliver bear thank's for all your input on the hub and i sure hope it seat's in a little better or 70 % better but i not hold my breathe on that ,classic cycle's hub it is brand new got it off e bay in australia so i thought i would save a hundred but now i not think i should of done this ...and yes i like the look of hub's myself on these bike's but your so right about disc with hyd are the only braking i used only a front not needing a back brake that how good they worked on a mountain bike i once done anyway ...i will now have to check the sturmey archer 90mm alloy one on the order

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Man, this build is looking great! Very nice job, Mick. Looks like your getting every last drop of power out of the engine, too. I know how you guys struggle down where you live getting parts and how you suffer from huge shipping cost, so what you have pulled off there in Tasmania is quite a feat. Good Job!!
Pat

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
g'day there Pat thank's for your e-mail and thank's again for shipping not only your quality part's but the bike frame itself which i am very great-ful for and now i have this little panther in tasmania i sure needing another to build !!! i believe in the build's and bike's i see you do i not seen any better the way you finish with fine touch'es so i will be in touch for a sportsman to crave my 4 stroke build and hope you have fine tuned that seat for the market i seen too cheer's

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
thank's guy's ,for a ht motor it really is a flyer very quick to 70kmh with the 40 teeth gearing,i like how it climb's too i think i might leave it at this and enjoy as it is and darkhawk22 like your build very much and how much more speed did you find with the 36 or you needing a less teeth again cheer's mick

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
good morning to you SB ,yes people not sure what to think sometimes and the police well i just pedal and look else where but thats very hard when i am riding it like a BTR ,just about to do another build the same as winter is near in a month here

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
i delivered a bike and got to ride this high rider very different and great day ...a little town in north of state called evendale here they have a penny farthing race each year and people all over the world comes down here in this tiny town to show the old PENNY FARTHING off and race

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'd hate to fall off one of those. I was about to make a wise a$$ comment about it needing a motor on it and got to looking at the little wheel in back... could house a little pancake motor hub and have a battery pack just above the wheel... hmmm. Once you start putting motors on bikes it is hard to stop! And speaking of stopping you'd need a disc brake or something, eh?
SB

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
well guy's
i have come to the time to sell my first panther build and thought i will share this with you all
i had a guy come out to look at the thing's i been doing with motorised bikes and the little china 2stroke's then his eye's could'nt get off this panther he just needed it,one short ride and he was blown away and offered a dollar
as i have another panther near built i thought this was a good thing to say goodbye to it so i have let it go
with the fund's they are being put aside till late september as my name is on the biggest badest insane 4stroke build i have seen THE KEYSTONE FLYER ,my christmas present to myself this year so this is why i will not miss this little panther well this is what i saying to myself auflg

Attachments