How big is too big?

GoldenMotor.com

dcsnow44

Jun 9, 2010
Alberta, Canda
Hey I havent posted anything in about a year due to the fact that I was set on buying a car. But as my dad will not let me have a car I have come back to the idea of motorizing my bike ( Triumph Laser). I was wondering if someone could tell me whether this frame size would be alright?

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
If you're thinking about an in-frame mount, it should work fine. Now, you have an oversized downtube, so you'll need a front engine mount adapter of some kind if you want a two-stroke. I recommend the u-bolt kind that Sick Bike Parts and some of the others sell. I don't know enough about drilling through a bike frame to suggest another kind. A four stroke should fit in there fine also. Now, a rear rack mounted engine can fit almost any kind of bike. Also, if you plan to mount the tank on the top tube, its oversized also. You'll have to see if you need bigger tank brackets if that's where you want it to go. Good luck. Nice bike.

dcsnow44

Jun 9, 2010
Alberta, Canda
Alright thanks for the info, I believe that the kit I am getting (ZoomBicycles) comes with a mount for oversized tubes. and it would be a in-frame kit (ChinaGirl)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
That bike will take a china girl real nice with the proper mounting hardware that Allen Wrench described........

That should make you a nice ride, take your time and build it right, everything good, tight and aligned properly and you should be good to go.

Best wishes and keep us posted on how it is going......

Peace

dcsnow44

Jun 9, 2010
Alberta, Canda
Thanks Allen_Wrench and mapbike for replying to my question. I will hopefully be starting this project as soon as exams are finished, unless I can make one final push to convince my parents to let me purchase a car.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks Allen_Wrench and mapbike for replying to my question. I will hopefully be starting this project as soon as exams are finished, unless I can make one final push to convince my parents to let me purchase a car.
Best wishes for what ever you end up doing.....

Peace

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Ah, parents.

I always wanted a motorcycle, but they said "no motorcycle while you live under our roof" They thought I'd kill myself.

They sold me their old car for a buck.

After I moved out I bought a bike. And another and another and...I'm still alive.

Now my dad lives with me. He'll be 90 tomorrow. He don't drive.

And I still have bikes - :)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
if you do get a car still build the motorbike they are a blast

I have a nice truck and 3 cars 2 riding mowers a New Holland Tractor and a 150cc Roketa scooter that will do 60+mph & I stiil enjoy riding my MBikes most of all, yes they are the ( funnset ) thing I have overall.

Build that sucker anyway and you leave the car in the driveway a lot more than you might think.

Peace

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
If I listened to other people's opinion of me, I might think I was more nuts than I am. I've let it leak out that, despite being put in the hospital by a truck and having my first motorbike seriously hammered by same truck, I intend to get onto another motorbike and continue riding. Yeah, they think I'm nuts. Fortunately, I do not listen to them.

My wife understands best of all: she knows I'm not anymore crazy than I've been, and that I'm not out to "prove anything". I just like to ride my MB sometimes. When I had the first one, it was my preferred transportation. I think that'll be the case again.

The Higgins, that I'll be riding once the tank is finished, is not just going to be beautiful - it'll be even more comfortable than the first Tempus. It'll perform better. And it's a more solid and better alligned bike overall. In short, it'll be a better ride.

I'm a father of four of the most beautiful daughters in the world. My only other vehicle is a Dodge Caravan. Those things are wonderfully reliable. But they do not count as "fun" in my book. But the MB? Well, there's fun!!!

Last edited:

dcsnow44

Jun 9, 2010
Alberta, Canda
Thanks a lot to everyone for the replies! I wasn't expecting so many! Ive been been constantly searching this forum and reading things for the past two years, although I don't input too much, I really enjoy it! I understand what you all are saying about building both, but you see being 16 years old I'm not exactly the guy who is rolling in the most dough. And also as you may or may not know up here in Canada the winters can get pretty harsh, therefore the MB would only be used from April/May until October/November which is alright I guess, but the summer is really when I would benefit from a car, therefore having two modes of transportation for the summer may not be worth it. But many of you would probably be happy to hear that I'm pretty sure that this build will be happening..shft.