never fails

GoldenMotor.com

ktbreezo

Nov 21, 2009
bethlehem,pa.
:-||now nothing makes sense.brand new kit.the other one had a broken gear. too hard for me to put back on.so.......new kit rides great two three days then decides to die on the way to work.tried everything.new plug.new wires new cdi thought the carb was the problem new carb still no.i just don't get it .doesn't make sense. any ideas? even disconnected the kill switch.there has got to be a better way.this is the third kit now i must be doing something terribly wrong.to go through so many in only a few months.or they are just junk toys but i'm about to give it up.

Last edited:

ktbreezo

Nov 21, 2009
bethlehem,pa.
well i opened the cover for the magneto and lo and behold rust and what looks like acid buildup.i don't know if it will start once i clean it but damn this is a new kit.
anyway i hope i don't mess anything up pulling it out.will i?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just don't break any wires. The magneto coil is held on by four screws. There is a wire, the black one, under one of those screws. Carefully clean everything especially the area where that black wire grounds to the coil. There should be no need to disturb the rotor, the magnet that is attached to the crankshaft. When you're ready to reinstall the coil, it only goes in one way, use a standard business card as a spacer between the magnet poles and the coil to assure it doesn't hit after the screws are tight and when it rotates. Let us know the results.
Tom

ktbreezo

Nov 21, 2009
bethlehem,pa.
ok still no start. there was some rust and white stuff in there but it didn't look like it should have kept it from starting. maybe i got the wires wrong i don't think so but.now i took the kill switch out of the equation just blue to blue black to black and wrap the white still no start.help............gotta get it started for work monday.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Have you checked for spark? I have never seen a cdi fail yet and you seemed to have changed everything but the mag.
fair,
Last winter I had a new motor from BGF and it would not start... did the troubleshooting routine for gas flow and spark and it turns out that the CDI unit was no good. I would not have guessed that, but swapping it with another made the difference. First and only one I have had which was bad. I don't think it happens often. The swapped one would not work on the other engine which had just been running... not the connection. It was just a dud. I guess everything is possible with these.
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
ktbreezo,
It sounds to me like you're too quick to buy new parts in a kind of random manner. It would be better I think to take the time to find out how to methodically check to see if gas is flowing to the carburetor and if there is spark getting to the business end of the spark plug. For the engine to run it needs air, fuel and spark. In our situations it is either gas or spark. One or the other. If it has both it should at least run badly, but run. (We're not talking about an old, worn out, broken motor, but a new one... newish anyway.) So, is there fuel flowing from the tank to the filter? From the filter to the carburetor? If you don't know how to do these checks for flow and spark, just ask and someone here will guide you through it. It is worth knowing and not all that hard once you've done it. It's like math problems... really hard until you know how, then its a piece of cake. Everyone has to learn and has a first time. I did. You can do this...
SB

ktbreezo

Nov 21, 2009
bethlehem,pa.
ok then,does anybody know how to do this? although i'm gonna have to just tear it apart till i find it i sure would like to stop making so many mistakes. especially in doing some research before buying another one
ok now i think i tested for spark properly.. had a friend hold the plug to the engine block while i crank. no spark i assume i'm getting gas because when i pump the primer it backs out the carb eventually

Last edited: