Engine start w/o chain but wont with? PLZ HELP

GoldenMotor.com

MoMo27

Jul 24, 2010
Arizona
Hello, first i would like to say hello and thanks to the people behind the creation of the this website and the very helpful members.

ok so next let me ask my question. alright so i am trying to build my first ever home build HT bike. i was so excited to ride it when I got everything already to go. but then when it came to pull starting it all my spirits plummeted. the engine wouldnt start no matter how many times i pulled or how much choke i put in to it. so i took the chain off and then tried it and it worked ON THE FIRST PULL!!!!! now i know i have the engine on the right way, and when i start the engine and then hold the clutch so it doesnt move the engine still works. i have a john deere c1200 trimmer which i dont know how many cc's it has so if anyone knows please let me know.

thanks in advanced.

MoMo27

Jul 24, 2010
Arizona
i was trying that because i really wanted to ride that thing, but after holding the clutch for a while the clutch gets to hot to hold but i am ganna try that again today.

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
If you have a centrifical clutch, The clutch shoes sometimes drag even at idle. This dragging causes the clutch bell to get hot. That's normal.

The chain being off and it starting right up is a coincidence. You may have flooded the engine during the pull start attempts and by the time you got the chain off the engine had dried out enough to start.

Once the engine fires w/ choke "on" it doesn't take long before you can turn the choke "off".

Hope this helps.

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Just so ya know, HT(Happy Time) means the China engine that goes inframe, like mine- here's a pic. (someone say if I'm wrong!)

I agree with the chain being a coincidence, maybe if you post pis someone can see another reason wy.

Attachments

MoMo27

Jul 24, 2010
Arizona
well thanks for the help but nope it doesnt just happen once its all the time, if i take it off it starts (1 pull) then i put the chain back on it and it doesnt work then i take the chain right back off and it does work again off - on - off - on - off - on - dont work - work - dont work - work - dont work. all in like 1 minute intervals. IT PISSES ME THE FRICK OFF!!!!!

o and thanks for the correction, what do u call a home build one then...... a DIY?

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
Maybe the reason the chain keeps it from starting is because the clutch and chain drag a little slowing down the rotation of your pulls. Maybe???? If you can't turn over the motor as fast with the clutch dragging that's why it won't start.
I'm just guessing that could be it.