Which bike should I get?

GoldenMotor.com

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
I'm shopping for a bike and the key contenders are a 2011 Crosstrail (Retailed $475) for $200 and a Giant for $75. I may get both actually...

I'll post pics when available.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i'd get a worksman inb (was $350 shipped to my door, no fenders) http://motorbicycling.com/f15/i-think-i-finally-nailed-28689.html and get a sprocket adapter ($90 shipped from sportscarpat here on the forums).

i had issues with mine that i simply wouldn't have had if i started with an adapter, cause i tried modding my bike to work with a kit supplied rag joint.

the worksmans are heavy duty as ****, have some of the best wheels on the market and look great too boot.

also if you get a worksman get it with the 36 tooth sprocket. good luck with what ever you choose.

if you go with a worksman i can help you with advice since i got mine all taken care of.

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
I thought about a Workman, but part of the point of my build was to be as cheap as possible. On principle, not because I couldn't afford a Workman. Once I have an engine worthy of a Workman I will get one.

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
I almost bought a bike that was a great deal, but it was a 15" frame. I probably could have flipped it when it didn't work because it was only $85, but I was so unsure.

Big question, will a 15" frame work with a China 2-Stroke?

I'm extremely doubtful it will work. Nice bike though. I may clean it up and put it back on Craigslist.

Last edited:

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
at 30+mph any motor is worth a worksman imo, a few of the potholes iv'e hit already would have trashed my other bikes rims if i went any where near that speed and hit em. and why buy something that's unworthy in the first place?

nickels and dimes add up, think it will probably cost about the same tbh. but if you really want the cheapest bike for the job, get a huffy cranbrook.

i don't think that frame would fit it, when using a mountain bike, the top tube being straight is your best bet for motorizing.

http://www.gasbikeshop.com/downloads/engine-template.jpg

if you size that up and print it out it will give you confirmation though.

dan parker

Jun 27, 2010
salem al.
i'd get a worksman inb (was $350 shipped to my door, no fenders) http://motorbicycling.com/f15/i-think-i-finally-nailed-28689.html and get a sprocket adapter ($90 shipped from sportscarpat here on the forums).

i had issues with mine that i simply wouldn't have had if i started with an adapter, cause i tried modding my bike to work with a kit supplied rag joint.

the worksmans are heavy duty as ****, have some of the best wheels on the market and look great too boot.

also if you get a worksman get it with the 36 tooth sprocket. good luck with what ever you choose.

if you go with a worksman i can help you with advice since i got mine all taken care of.
Where did you get your worksman? for that price? I called worksman the other day and they told me 5-6 weeks before they could ship one..Thanks Dan

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Where did you get your worksman? for that price? I called worksman the other day and they told me 5-6 weeks before they could ship one..Thanks Dan
i ordered mine online from there site, base model INB cruiser, no fenders but it saved me $30, and i didn't want a front fender anyways (they sent me one with fenders though, i ended up scrapping both of em for a fender i found better suited for this).

i ordered mine during the winter though, off season, now things are picking up so i'm sure the wait time will be a bit worse.

http://motorbicycling.com/f15/i-think-i-finally-nailed-28689.html

i can honestly say i'm more then happy i spent the money for it up front. i was beating on my motor, took it for a 28 mile trip (would have been 31 mile trip) hit a pot hole doing about 30mph, and my tire went flat, but i took off the tire and tube, did a quick inspection for damage on the rim, it was PERFECT, it hit a big pothole at full speed and was undamaged.

no complaints from me :D