Clutch not disengaging when hot

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 5, 2015
Santa Barbara, CA
This is a problem that a friend's bike is having, so I don't know much about it. He says that as soon as his engine gets hot the clutch stops disengaging. I've already had him tighten the nut on top of the clutch arm, since I thought that could be the problem, but it is still happening. Any thoughts?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
First let's be sure we're talking the same language because many times 'engaged' and
'disengaged' get mixed up.

Does the clutch slip when the engine is hot or can he not "disengage" the clutch allowing the bike freewheel?

I'm not talking down to you and mean no disrespect but the two terms are quite often used in reverse of their meaning.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
could be bad bearing in clutch hub - also could be fine steel wires from pads getting caught in hub bearing - it weird cases, could be constantly slipping clutch that eventually swells up the pads

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
I'm having a similar issue in that when the bike gets hot my clutch tightens up a bit. I've adjusted the clutch several times. I'm not sure why it keeps happening as I would expect the opposite to occur. I will be very interested in the resolution to this issue.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if the sprocket nut is getting loose, the whole shaft may be moving away from the clutch arm - similar if clutch nut is loose with clutch moving away from actuator rod

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
Not trying to steal the thread but for me, I know If the sprocket nut is what I think it its I know its not moving because there is a little screw holding it in place.

Joseph Talmon

Aug 1, 2016
CA
Hi my name is Joe and I'm having a problem with my clutch when I put it together the lever to engage the clutch when I pulled off the case front to thread a chain through I did not know what went inside it was it the bucking pin and was there anything else after that a spring a bearing or did the bucking pin go first which order and what goes in there haha

Joseph Talmon

Aug 1, 2016
CA
Re: Clutch stuck can't pedal won't disengage the motor

Please help I have a two-stroke flying horse slanted motor for my pedal Chopper. When I had to thread the chain through where the clutch lever is at. I removed the plate and did not know what was inside or the order found out there was a bucking pin and what else

Joseph Talmon

Aug 1, 2016
CA
Re: Clutch not disengaging

Yeah this is only about the clutch lever what goes behind it what is it in engage is there a string is there a bearing is there I mean spring in what order bucking bucking pin is the only thing I saw was there a bearing after it was there a spring please help

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
Still happening and I checked the sprocket nut, does not seem to be loose. Last night the clutch tightened up so much that it would not disengage.

Question:

How often should I be adjusting or replacing my clutch?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
replacing pads is rare unless bike has several thousand miles on it

adjustment is whenever it acts funny

next time is does it, take off the cover while it is still hot to see if you can find what is happening in there - see if outer plate is completely off of pads when lever is pulled - see if bearing in center of clutch hub is freely spinning

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
This may or may not be another clue but when I'm riding I often pull the clutch before going downhill (is this good?) and when I first pull the clutch I hear a squealing kind sound that stops shortly after like winding out. I've lubed the chain guide, chain and rear sprocket with no effect.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
have you greased the bucking bar and clutch arm and drive gears? search here on the board to see that