Gasbike.net $200.00 GT80 Engines

GoldenMotor.com

Keef B

Dec 30, 2015
northridge
Sup Fellas,

Been a while since I had a thread, but I was looking at the GT80 engines on gasbikes.net. The ones with a reed valve setup & Keihin carb clone. Has anyone purchased one of these?? If so how was the performance on it I have some telling me its bolt on ready and all it needs is a expansion chamber.. Your thoughts!!!

Thanks in Advance

Keef!!

Keef B

Dec 30, 2015
northridge
No answers for anyone?? I guessing nobody has ran/running that engine kit?? Its the same kit they have on the Kings Motorbike site...

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Kings and gasbike are the same company from what I've gathered. And their customer support is a little lacking. Nobody I've ever talked with has ever gotten through to a representative. I bought a gt2a frame from them though, and it did arrive. A little on the late side, and I was getting worried as they provided no tracking for it, no emails saying it was shipped, but they sure charged me for it quick.

Anyway, that engine seems like it would be ok to use. However, some things concern me.

- "ported" That term gets thrown out a lot. What does it exactly mean? Bigger does not always mean better. Are the ports shaped properly, or are they huge and squared off where rings will snag. I would personally rather port one myself.
- "racing" Another flashy term to get people to buy stuff. Again, what does that mean?
- These are all components you can buy yourself, and put them on one by one. Because every engine is different, will this one be guaranteed to run the same as the last one they sold? I've never gotten an engine out of a box that didn't run. As soon as I started putting performance parts on it, it runs worse until I do some carb adjustment.
-Break in time. This seems like the kind of engine you would want to slap on and hot dog down the road. Might not want to right yet... you still need to break that sucker in.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I had looked at that motor too but once I saw that post I quickly looked at other motors. If it seems too good to be true it probably is. Right.

Neptunati

Jun 11, 2009
Kansas city
Ok I got that kit. I haven't installed it yet. So far as far as porting goes the exhaust is hogged out. In the next month I'll pull the jug (to see the porting)and inspect it, as well as the crank case( for metal shavings). Plus I want to skirt the piston. Is there a piston skirting sticky?.we.

Keef B

Dec 30, 2015
northridge
Fellas,

Thanks for the replys i really appreciate it. I am in the process of buying another engine, an of course we want save a penny but get the most bang for the buck. Neptunati i will be checking for your reviews, Meanwhile i will check the links you all posted an continue to research. If i find i diamond in the rough i will most definitely share it with you guys.

Peace an Ride Safe

Neptunati

Jun 11, 2009
Kansas city
Even though you went with a different engine combination I'm still going to post some pictures of this engine. Yes the port work does look like it was done kind of rushed. But it's not too bad it just needs a little finishing. The Boost Port looks kind of small and there's no window on the piston. But I plan on putting the window in the Piston to help with the reeds.

Attachments

Last edited:

Batman6583

Oct 15, 2015
USA
Neptunati Thanks for your reviews, I really appreciate it. I am in the process of buying
GT80 REED VALVE & KEIHIN CARBURETOR CLONE ASSEMBLY WITH PORTED CYLINDER
Kit from gasbike, I am new and order this kit and found out that it wolud fit my motor with a type A piston , I wolud like to order a bottom end that will fit.
I am considering:

DAX F80 *S Rod 40mm Stroke*
BOTTOM END *

Any thoughts?

Batman6583

Oct 15, 2015
USA
Thanks for the info.Neptunati

Have you got your motor up and running?

Was it difficult setting up the carburetor?

How do it run?

Thanks

MaximusFunguy

Jun 16, 2016
IL
I bought one of these kits and so far it has done well. It's my first build so I have nothing to compare it to but it'll do 30 with a 240lb rider on a 44t rear 10t front. I believe it the carb needs to be jetted because it runs badly at wot. Very torquey. Just start and go. Has a hard time hitting high rpm's. could be the setup I have. The intake is quite a bit larger that the one that came with the kit. Thinking of buying a daxf80 and building a true 70 out of this GT80. Should be interesting to open it up as I just briefly inspected it before installing.

Attachments

mike carter 2

Nov 23, 2011
west virgina
neptunati pleas post pic of ported piston i ported mine after seeing the freds ported piston i tryed to port simi to his just bigger i dont think im big enough

Sam90lx

Sep 29, 2015
Ventura CA
Even though you went with a different engine combination I'm still going to post some pictures of this engine. Yes the port work does look like it was done kind of rushed. But it's not too bad it just needs a little finishing. The Boost Port looks kind of small and there's no window on the piston. But I plan on putting the window in the Piston to help with the reeds.
Are you running that block / spacer that is between the cylinder and the reed or did you remove it? I'm not even sure why it is there.