24" Schwinn straight bar conversion

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's a bike that I bought today... I found it on CL & drove many miles to buy it only to find out when I got there that it's not a real 24" 'straight bar' frame.
It was originally a 24" cantilever frame that someone converted into a straight bar. :rolleyes:

I talked the guy down to a reasonable price & brought it home... I was originally going to flip it when I thought it was real, but now I'm just going to motorize it & give it to my son as his first motor bike!

It's going to take some time until I can start on it, but I'm going to make this a build thread & make a nice Sportsman style tank for it & install a 49cc 'round head' 2-stroke thats been in my shop for several years.

I'll keep posting here as it comes together. :)

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
dnutWow, looking at the picture it sure looks good. How does the welding look on the straight bar? i wonder if the 2 cantilever bars had caps at the seatpost. I never knew that a 24" straight bar was made by Schwinn? Ya know now that i think about it,,, I remember seeing 20" fat fender cruisers, that are straight bar types. Well any way i'll be looking to see it finished as well. Love that color blue.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi. The forks, are they pressed or crimped on the horizontal part that's fitted to the steering tube at the bottom of the neck? Are these strong enough for motorized bicycles? Thankyou.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi. The 48cc roundhead engines, go to simpsonmotorbikes, click kit info then click skyhawk 48cc GGG kit, also check close: GT-3 55cc kit and the 55cc hop up kit are those round heads too? Thanks again.

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
Hi. The 48cc roundhead engines, go to simpsonmotorbikes, click kit info then click skyhawk 48cc GGG kit, also check close: GT-3 55cc kit and the 55cc hop up kit are those round heads too? Thanks again.
nope - they havent shipped motors since like 2007 - long gone
xct2

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I have a aluminum tank for it, but right now my son likes riding this bike instead of his 20" Schwinn... so it's gonna stay a pedaler for a little longer. :/