The 1400 mile evolution of my Cranbrook

GoldenMotor.com

toecutter619

May 23, 2012
Irving, TX
This is my second motor bicycle build. My first bike is a worksman paperboy I am slowly making into a board tracker. Ole yeller is fun to ride but after 800 miles going back and forth to work I renamed it The Backbreaker. Thus one day at wally world I spotted the cranbrook on a rollback special of $95.00 out the door. I had already read other peoples cranbrook builds on the forum and knew it would be an easy build. So the copper cruiser came home and I soon had an engine kit ordered. The build was easy and straight forward. Replace all kit hardware with Grade 5 or 8 bolts and go to town.

Last edited:

toecutter619

May 23, 2012
Irving, TX
I need to learn how to post pictures. This was my first rag joint that I had to install. I don’t see what the fuss is about installing one of these. I used an impact socked to center the sprocket and used Grade 8 nylock nuts and bolts and torque the assembly in a star pattern to 95 inch pounds. I have not had to touch it or re-torque the bolts in 1400 miles. I didn’t even have to trim any of the rubber pieces.

toecutter619

May 23, 2012
Irving, TX
The bike ran great and I loved the upright riding position. Yes I did ride 250 miles with the chain adjustment roller mounted up high like in the pictures. The amount of chain slap finally made me cut the mount and weld it in place on the bottom arm like everyone else. On a ride around the neighborhood the rear wheel blew out and the sidewall split open. I changed the tires with Bell premium roundabouts and tossed the fenders to my parts bin. Yes the tab had cracked on the front fender after 300 miles. Around this time the rear engine mounting bolts started to keep vibrating loose even with locktight.

I decided to ditch the spacers and weld in a piece of tube and flat plate on the rear mount. No more bolts vibrating loose.

The exhaust pipe started to vibrate loose next, so a 2 inch and a 1.5 inch spit collar with a piece of square tubing secured it to the frame. Over kill? Yes. But I can beat the pipe on anything and not worry about cracking the cylinder.

Around the 600 mile mark I got a 2 up Instep trailer for $15 at a garage sale. It did not have the bracket to bolt to the bike. No problem, to the scrap metal bucket. I welded a piece of tube to a piece of plate. Drill, grind and paint. No problem. I also pulled and painted some engine pieces copper with VHT paint.

That is the last mod done to the Crany. 600 – 1400 miles just riding and towing my 4 year old girl around town. All though the summer it was my garage sale scout vehicle. I would roll up and look at the sale and if anything was on my or my wife’s hit list I would call in an air strike to the wife and roll onto the next sale. Yes, I have had to re-true the rims and blow out the fuel filter and a lot of other kit stuff that you always do. Like change the spark plug and plug wire. But the bike is solid and no cracks in the frame to report. Yes, I have ridden this whole time with just a coaster break. Yes it needs a front brake; any brake is an improvement over the coaster brake. It is on my list to get done. So I have about $450 in my cheap cranny and I hope to get a lot more miles out of it but it has shown a lot of other people how much fun a motorized bicycle can be and that is priceless.

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
All good to hear. I've got a Cranbrook with 50 cc china girl. Nearing it's second birthday and all's well. Though I have had to rebuild the hub a couple of times.

My own opinion is that the Cranbrook is a good bicycle for the job. Maybe it's not up to heavy duty use. But I'd classify my use as medium duty. And it's doing fine.

toecutter619

May 23, 2012
Irving, TX
Hey bluegoatwoods good to hear about your bike. When I got my bike home the first thing I did was take apart both hubs and pack them with red wheel bearing grease. I have only had to tighten the rear hub once since then. This bike is just for cruising, I do all the other thrashing on my other bike.

foolsbike

Jan 11, 2014
Missouri
Nice post. I'd use mine too looking for garage sales. I had perhaps 500 on mine before it was stolen. Had it all broke in and running great. I just hope the thief is getting as much enjoyment out of it as I was.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Well, foolsbike, I agree with being nice. But I think you've gone too far.

I hope the thief chokes on your bike. And I'd like to watch. :)

But then, maybe I shouldn't have taken your words quite so literally?