Dragon Fire, White Wire?

GoldenMotor.com

cschade

Aug 8, 2014
United States
I purchased a Flying Horse Dragon Fire engine kit -- a regular flying horse engine kit with an integrated magneto and CDI. It has a kill switch wire set coming out of it to hook up the kill switch. Is there a "White wire" to hook up a headlight? If so, how do I approach going about it?

cvlt1

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The white wire is basically useless. Cut it off or tape it up.
If you INSIST in trying to use it, check out the DOZENS of threads here on this subject.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That unit is an integrated CDI, should only have kill wires. Probably a red and black. The white wire is common to the older 2pc mag/CDI. But if it does have a white, do like M57 says and don't use it.

Let us know how this unit works out. If it does its an excellent idea.

cschade

Aug 8, 2014
United States
That unit is an integrated CDI, should only have kill wires. Probably a red and black. The white wire is common to the older 2pc mag/CDI. But if it does have a white, do like M57 says and don't use it.

Let us know how this unit works out. If it does its an excellent idea.
I will. Hoping it turns out to be a reliable system with all the problems 2peice mag/ cdi's seem to have.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Could you possibly post a photo of this magneto/CDI. It sounds like the old Super Rat and if it is the same they had some heat problems. Just one picture would help.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If I recall the Super Rat had cooling holes in the magneto cover. Or at least several photos of them I've seen showed them. I've never owned one so I'm only relaying what I've seen pictured.

Tom

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Unless they changed the in the mean time the covers appear closed/undrilled. I don't know who makes the Flying Horse. Its definitely not the same as the GT5 type engines, unless of course they have changed manufacturers again and China Gas is making them which would be the same engine as the Grubee Skyhawk Super Rat. Who knows?

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have only ever seen two of these engines, and both were in for no spark. Replaced coils and both were gone. My understanding is they tended to overheat and fail. They are also VERY hard to find parts for! (or were back then anyway)
BUT if the coil is waterproof, I'm thinking some cooling holes would help a lot. The engines I saw had small notches in the bottom of the covers for airflow, but they were tiny and ineffective. You could easily make some bigger holes to allow the fan to actually do something besides stir the air inside the case...

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I agree cooling flow is probably the issue. Almost all CDI/coils on small industrial/handheld engines are in the cooling airflow inside the shroud. A way for the air to enter and exit would probably eliminate the problem. However China Gas Looks like they are making the engine still, ands with no mods to the cases. Maybe the first modules were defective. Once again, who knows?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Typically when you introduce cooling air you need to provide exhaust area at least twice the size of that given for entry. That would be hard given the design of the magneto cover on a 2 stroke. Someone didn't do their math apparently if heating was an issue with the solid state electronics. Maybe that's why we don't see many Super Rats.

I wouldn't mind experimenting with one. It appears to me that unless you're riding in heavy rain or splashing through every puddle you can find, water wouldn't be an issue. Baffles could be fabricated to keep water off the critical components but still provide sufficient cooling.

Tom

Last edited:

cschade

Aug 8, 2014
United States
I got the motor on Tuesday. I've ridden it about thirty miles so far. I drilled two 3/4 inch holes in the magneto cover for cooling. No problems so far. In addition, I have checked the magneto after rides and it remains fairly cool. usflg

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
ok here goes im building a kit that will take the white ^V wire and turn it into a 12V source for led lights would anyone be willing to buy such an item for $45.00???? let me know im going to be taking orders for them in the next few weeks. you can private message me if your interested. I will be adding a e-bay page in the next few weeks

virtuoso

Dec 21, 2014
dayton,oh
Flying horse is known for overheating and blowing the rings... Not a solid engine at all... I just blew one and I'm done with them, going back to the eBay special...