Vintage Sachs 98er (Thoria) brakes issue

GoldenMotor.com

Lars-Vivendi

Mar 10, 2015
germany
Hello all,
while the main restoration job on my 1956er Thoria light motorcycle is makin good headway, i am kinda stuck with the rear brakes today. Hope that somebody has a similar bike and can help me out of my pit. Thing is : When i bought it, the rear brakes were connected to the brake-foot pedal with a throttle cable (bowden cable) which ended in some small adapter shell. It was totally rotten, so i didnt mind too much as i thought i can replace it with some self tailored solution. Meanwhile i was thinking if i can maybe replace the wire for a thin brake-steel rod, and i think i want to go for that as i do not see any advantage for the cable solution over the rod (anybody opposite ideas to that?) but my main problem is the question how thatv rod / wire is to be fixed on the rear brake lever. As you can see in my attachment, i can identify the notch/hack which is to hold the shell with the adjustor-thread/worm. But it is completely loose, its just laying in there and its not fixed at all, so i would guess it will take the first opportunity while i am pulling the brake and hop right out of that hack - wouldnt it ? I have seen similar levers on my other old bikes, but they were slightly different, on these other bikes the arm/lever didnt have an open hack, but a fork which has a hole on both sides, a shell is pushed through which then holds the addjusting thread of the steel rod. In that szenario, nothing can move out of the brakes setup, but here ?? Does anybody know how this is supposed to work, can send a picture or a firm description of what i may be missing here ? Thanks in advance, excuse my bad english, hope i could make myself understood...
Cheers,
Lars

Attachments

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Hmmm.......I'm not even sure which names or 'terms' to use.

The little round piece with the indent, clearly meant to accept a cable or a cable fastener.
Does that piece rotate? If the indent could be faced rearward, then maybe a cable could be fastened to it via a loop.

Lars-Vivendi

Mar 10, 2015
germany
Hello,,
thanks for mentioning it, i fiorgot : Yes, unfortunatly that thing DOES rotate, so no way i can only let the rod slide in and let it rest there, it will come up and out sure as sh...
I really have the feeling there must be an easy fix to it, maybe some piece is missing or...i dunno...I checked Ebay for such spares, and i see that many brake plates show such an lever , so i do no9t think mine is broken or a selfmade piece of the pre-decessor, i more tend to think i am missing some...tiny little...something... I guess i will need a pic of a bike which runs with such a brake, and then it will come clear in a sec...
Hm. Lets see, maybe somebody has the missing link at hand..
Cheers, tx,
lars

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i think that set-up has a rod that is threaded on the end. the threaded part sits in the groove and there should be two concave spacers and nuts on either side to adjust it.

if you can't get the original parts, you could drill out the rivets and remove that piece, and use a threaded rod with a spherical bearing on the end, bolted in there instead.

dunno how the rod would attach to the rest of the brake linkage since there's only a picture of the hub.

if you want to go a simpler, cabled route, you could drill out the rivets, remove the grooved piece, cut a small piece of rod to fit in there, drill a small hole in the center for the cable, drill and tap the ends for two small screws to hold the rod in place.

an even simpler cable method would be to drill a small hole thru the existing groove for the cable and use a screw type cable stop on the end.

Lars-Vivendi

Mar 10, 2015
germany
Cheers Bairdco,
i think you are spot on, that rivet has to go. :) If somebody has an idea where to get the original spares i`d possibly go for it, but if not so i`m going to drill that thing away and replace it with the default setup you mentioned, thats the very szenario i had in mind as well. Thanks, cheers,
Lars

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Lars,

Before you do anything contact Heinz Fingerhut. Silver bear and I have two original Sachs 98 cc motors that we bought and when we needed parts he was able to supply most of the them.
Extensive collection of parts for different motor and pedal powered bikes and a really great person to deal with. If he doesn't have what you want in stock he may be able to find it.

Steve.

[email protected]

Lars-Vivendi

Mar 10, 2015
germany
Tx Eddy,
i will definetly contact him. I had te link to the webshop already on my radar, but the store isnt active yet, they are re-opening first week of april, which i was anticipating already. But good to know that this isnt only for spared for for info as well. Knowing people is key, i learned that during my restauration (if not before). Thanks again, cheers,
Lars

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
lars i think i know what your problem may be, in most rod brake setups that bit with the slot is different, it has a single hole in middle through, this may have been like that or notbut you could have that welded up and redrill a hole through width of pin and it should be workable then, here is youtube on vespa druum brake adjustment, see when she is at rear brake arm, see the floating pin in the arm that what i mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RISxqfio8os

Lars-Vivendi

Mar 10, 2015
germany
Hello all,
seems a long time since i logged in last. I didnt have too much progress on my bike, but at least the fork is overhauled and painted now, and - believe it or not - i think i finally found out about the brakes issue. I`ll upload a picture which will explain how the rod is fixed at the rear breaks, maybe its helping anybody at some later point in time...

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Glad to see that you've got it figured out. Please keep us posted with further progress. I'd like to see more photos of your machine and wish you good fortune with it. One day you will ride it off into the sunset with a big smile of satisfaction... vroom... woohoo!
SB