Aftermarket Magneto

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hehehe, no problem Map.

I have 3 in front of me, 2 ohm out at 490 ohms, one was 480 ohms.
The baseline for the 3 wire mags was ~360 ohms.
More wire in the new ones ;-}

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
And sugar pills cure cancer.
Sorry, I'm not convinced and unless or until I see conclusive evidence that a spark plug will add 5MPH to the speed of a stock engined motorized bicycle I'll remain unconvinced. Word of mouth by someone taken in by a plecebo won't impress me.

A spark is a spark. If the fuel ignites the power produced by the engine will be the same no matter by what or how the fuel was ignited. There are many other factors toward what an engine can produce and the strength of the spark has nothing to do with what happens after the the fuel/air charge explodes. You're reading too much into the advertising hype put out by the manufacturer. I've read it too and the claims are pure marketing. It isn't a bad product; it just isn't a magic bullet.

Tom
Actually, on my bike I got about a 30 mph speed difference when I put in a new spark plug. The stock spark plug made the bike go 0 mph because it didn't work, and now it goes 30 mph, so technically I got a 30 mph speed increase just from switching the spark plug.

Sorry, couldn't resist being a bit of a wise-ass for a second there, but now for my real answer...

I have gotten a 5 mph difference from making my spark plug gap bigger after I put in a better magneto. I got a stronger spark, which, since it was bigger, made the fuel burn more quickly. Igniting more of the fuel from the spark means that the explosion has more force. Same concept with igniting all explosive materials. Picture a strip of firework fuse being lit at one end. Now picture it being lit from several places at once. Both ends will burn the length of the fuse faster. Same with the spark. If the spark plug gap is .02 inches long, and you increase the gap to .03 inches, you have just made the initial point of ignition 50% larger, resulting in a more powerful explosion. It may not seem like it would make a big difference, but when the explosion is happening 4,000 times a minute, the faster explosion makes a noticeable difference. As a side note, this is one of the reasons (aside from safety) that single-cylinder airplanes have 2 spark plugs in their cylinder. In addition to making sure a disconnected spark plug boot (or something like that) can't kill an airplane, having multiple points of ignition gives the engine more power. This is also why atomic bombs are so hard to build correctly. You must surround the uranium or plutonium core with plates of shaped plastic explosive, and set them all off at exactly the same time. The multiple points of ignition provide more inward compression force from the explosion than just igniting it at one point, which allows the core to reach critical mass. Same thing with a piston instead of a radioactive core. More area of ignition means more explosive force transferred downward onto the piston more quickly.

Hmmm... never thought I'd use an atomic bomb to argue the merits of doing a re-gap on your spark plug. lol...

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I have gotten a 5 mph difference from making my spark plug gap bigger after I put in a better magneto.
I got a stronger spark, which, since it was bigger, made the fuel burn more quickly.
Igniting more of the fuel from the spark means that the explosion has more force.

Hmmm... never thought I'd use an atomic bomb to argue the merits of doing a re-gap on your spark plug. lol...
Big badda boom.
Hehe ;-}