No fuel flow into combustion chamber?

GoldenMotor.com

s1rvr15

Jan 16, 2016
Hales Corners, WI, USA
I finally had my bike running for a bit yesterday (mostly just idling to let some exhaust repair tape set and look for leaks), and it was running fine-ish (low power due to leak at intake manifold). This morning I tried to get it running again after replacing the intake gasket and applying sealant to it, and the engine won't run. I took the plug out, and it was as dry as a bone. The carb has gas in the bowl, the throttle is working properly, and nothing in the carb seems to be clogged. Does anyone have any ideas of where the issue could be?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
take off air filter and see if you can feel air drawn thru carb - a spray bottle with fuel can be misted in there then too

got to be that you have fuel in carb not being pulled in or fuel in carb not getting up to intake

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine

got to be that you have fuel in carb not being pulled in or fuel in carb not getting up to intake

Crassius- could this be due to clip position setting?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
nope, unless clip fell off & needle is plugging the hole

thinking more, I've seen folks mix parts to diff carbs and get a needle too big for the hole

s1rvr15

Jan 16, 2016
Hales Corners, WI, USA
Update: Got it running again (compressed air and ether spray, woohoo!), but it won't idle at all (pulling in the clutch kills it unless it's at WOT), but I see oil and whatnot around where the head attaches to the rest of the cylinder, so it seems to be an air leak there. Any suggestions on how to close that leak?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Tighten head studs to 10-12 FOOT/lbs or 110-120 INCH/lbs
Be careful not to overtighten and strip.
NEVER torque head when engine is hot.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Update: Got it running again (compressed air and ether spray, woohoo!), but it won't idle at all (pulling in the clutch kills it unless it's at WOT), but I see oil and whatnot around where the head attaches to the rest of the cylinder, so it seems to be an air leak there. Any suggestions on how to close that leak?
Start it up and feel with your hand around all sides of the head and see if you feel air shooting out, if so, you found the leak. Next replace the head gasket or head or both.

brnot