Hausheng tuning

GoldenMotor.com

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
I can't seem to get my engine tuned quite right, where is the idle mixture screw that I keep seeing mentioned?

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
Why'd they cover it up?! I've spent the last few days trying to get it running good by rejeting the carb and all I had to do was drill a plug out :-||

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
I thought there was a screw under that cap, it's just a bypass point for air to get around the throttle valve

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
is the hole you uncovered tapped already? if so find a screw that fits in there, and a spring that fits over the screw, bam you have your air mixture screw

unless I have misunderstood something here.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
is the hole you uncovered tapped already? if so find a screw that fits in there, and a spring that fits over the screw, bam you have your air mixture screw

unless I have misunderstood something here.
We are talking about a mixture "screw" on a 4 stroke carb.

He has not drilled the plug out yet probably because he just read the post.

Bam, you misunderstood.

Mixture screws are tapered to s point.

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
I drilled out the only brass plug i found on the carb and there was no screw behind it. All there were were a couple tiny holes that allow air to bypass the throttle valve. Can someone post a picture

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I can't seem to get my engine tuned quite right...
Have you relieved your HS 142 of the stock box exhaust and put an NGK 7544 (CR7HIX) plug in it yet?

That's the magic first instant ~.5hp upgrade combo, and even a 2-stroke pipe works great.

You'll forget all about idle issues when you get great fire and it can breath.

Msiert

Sep 19, 2014
Omaha NE.
That screw is a fuel mixture screw it's on the engine side of the carburetor not the air filter side. I truly believe there is not a standard setting of that screw done at the factory. Mine was set at 1 and 1/4 turns out and a friends bike carb was set over 2 turns out.

Drilling out the brass plug that's covering that's screw to be able to tune the carburetor is a must thing to do if you want your HS engine to run well.

trialnerror

Oct 21, 2014
wisconsin
I saw a thread once that explained which way and why to turn the screw to tune it correctly--- but forgot where it was. can anyone steer me in the right direction?

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA
Ok, did you drill out another brass plug?
Would be good to know what happened.

Where did you find the screw?
Right next to the engine, I just drilled out the wrong one thinking it would be the one with the thinner plug.

Have you relieved your HS 142 of the stock box exhaust and put an NGK 7544 (CR7HIX) plug in it yet?

That's the magic first instant ~.5hp upgrade combo, and even a 2-stroke pipe works great.

You'll forget all about idle issues when you get great fire and it can breath.
I haven't put in a new plug yet but I did make a new exhaust for it which does smooth out how it runs.
That screw is a fuel mixture screw it's on the engine side of the carburetor not the air filter side. I truly believe there is not a standard setting of that screw done at the factory. Mine was set at 1 and 1/4 turns out and a friends bike carb was set over 2 turns out.

Drilling out the brass plug that's covering that's screw to be able to tune the carburetor is a must thing to do if you want your HS engine to run well.
I was getting pissed at my carb and figured there was still some junk stuck in it from sitting with gas in it I so bought a new one. With the stock jet (.021 I think) I can get it to idle perfect and hardly bog when i rev it but when it's wide open it revs up and down. With a .019 jet it'll idle and hold WOT but it bogs when I rev it. The plug's the right color in both cases. What do you think it is?
I saw a thread once that explained which way and why to turn the screw to tune it correctly--- but forgot where it was. can anyone steer me in the right direction?
I can't remember which way is which either but if you turn it until it bottoms out you know it's fully leaned out. Loosening it from there is richening it.

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I don't know if it's the dry hot air or altitude here in Phoenix but I never have to mess with the carb.
I put an NGK plug in and a pipe on and it rocks.

38 mph up a slight hill in 7th gear pulling 11,500 RPM's with no problem at all.

Just a lovey ride on a hot summer day.
Yes, it is summer here, just got our first 100F day.

trialnerror

Oct 21, 2014
wisconsin
I don't know if it's the dry hot air or altitude here in Phoenix but I never have to mess with the carb.

38 mph up a slight hill in 7th gear pulling 11,500 RPM's with no problem at all.

I want my engine to turn 11,500 rpm's

builder bob

Oct 7, 2012
MA

Have you got an internal geared hub on there giving you the 7 gears? How is your engine even staying together at 11500 RPM?

trialnerror

Oct 21, 2014
wisconsin
I agree this little four stroke with a history of blowing the connecting rod caps, when revved too high, turning at 11,500 rpm sounds kinda- ?
Let me know what parts i need to get, for that rpm range? because the stock engine won't spin that fast, and a spark plug won't make it do that either.

Last edited:

Msiert

Sep 19, 2014
Omaha NE.
I agree this little four stroke with a history of blowing the connecting rod caps, when revved too high, turning at 11,500 rpm sounds kinda- ?
Let me know what parts i need to get, for that rpm range? because the stock engine won't spin that fast, and a spark plug won't make it do that either.
It can spin that fast.....one time then BANG!