china girl exhaust studs holes stripped out

GoldenMotor.com

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
have any of you found a successful fix for this problem? it's happened to every cylinder that i've had so far, the vibration on the exhaust pulls the studs straight out of the cylinder...
i've even gone as far as to swap out for slightly larger lag screws that bite right in to the aluminum block, but seems that everything ends up pulling out...
any suggestions?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You need to make a solid mount near the tip of the muffler, never let the muffler hang on the studs only. The stock strapping material that comes with most kits leaves a lot to be desired.

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
yeah, i definitely found that part out the hard way... at this point, i have a new custom exhaust, to which the muffler does have a solid mount to the frame just behind the seat... i'm just trying to figure out how to keep the bolts in place now that i've got the rest figured out and situated...

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
i've got that covered... already upgraded those... the ones that came with my first kit were wicked thin... pulled the bolts right through them... so that was one of the first things i bought specifically as an upgrade...
like i said, right now i'm looking for maybe like a short anchor stud... something along those lines... just don't know where i would find one that small... i figure by this time, the holes are between 7-8mm...

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
This may sound odd but going to a smaller rear sprocket will cut down vibration also, I went from a 44 to a 41 and it helped greatly.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Just get a tap and die set then you can fix any size striped out hole ya want. just drill it to the next size, tap in new threads. AND DONE. Standard or metric, dont matter, just so you can screw in a new stud or a bolt. Having a tap and die set on hand is always a good idea anyway.
fatdaddy.usflg

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
There are a few types of taps. Most common being a plug tap with a taper, bottoming taps are used to finish a partially tapped hole in order to get threads all the way to the bottom.

Personally I helicoil any aluminum threads that demonstrate a problem, if possible.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
There are a few types of taps. Most common being a plug tap with a taper, bottoming taps are used to finish a partially tapped hole in order to get threads all the way to the bottom.

Personally I helicoil any aluminum threads that demonstrate a problem, if possible.
I've used helicoils too. but ya still gotta tap in a thread for the helicoil to screw into anyway. Use helicoils if ya REALLY, REALLY want to stay with the original size stud. Other than that, dont matter.
fatdaddy.

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
I don't usually use helicoils so much for retaining size, more to have steel threads in places that might have a lot of screwing/unscrewing. I hate fixing things twice.