Sick of the unsafe pig drivers on the road

GoldenMotor.com

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread or not. But all IF NOT MOST of us, have dealt with dangerous speeding arrogant piece of crap drivers on the road before. A few buddies- of mine and myself have swapped some stories. Here it goes. Most city speed limits are 25-30mph(the police here, don't mind if us motor bicyclists speed a little to keep up with traffic). So, here I am cruising down the road about 25 mph, enjoying the peace. Some dude, in his fancy loud ass lifted truck(that looks like a piece of crap and isn't NEARLY as cool as he thinks it is) decides to follow my ass, honk at me, swear as he swerves around me and then continue to speed off. He must have been going 40 in a 25 residential area. I feel very unsafe when it comes to enjoying my bicycle on the road in fear of some show off that shouldn't even have a license, drive unsafe and nearly kill me. I've been honked at, had stuff thrown, people yell and swear. Seriously? I have just as much right to be on the road as you do in your stupid loud truck/car. I won't even mention the crap I get from ignorant motorcyclists as well..revving their engines trying to bait me into a race, speeding around me, etc. I just want to know who else is fed up with other drivers on the road who have no consideration or respect for us bicyclists. I'd like to hear your stories. usflg

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
They're out there. And they always will be.

There are people in this world that don't like anybody. That's because they don't really like themselves. They are not happy. They think they got a "raw deal", life is unfair and the world sucks.

The best way to deal with these people is to ignore them. Then if they persist be friendly. Wave at them. You know with all five fingers spread happily. Not just the index finger - :)

It's a sad thing, but these types like to make everbody feel as miserable as they do. We all have met them and we always will.

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
They're out there. And they always will be.

There are people in this world that don't like anybody. That's because they don't really like themselves. They are not happy. They think they got a "raw deal", life is unfair and the world sucks.

The best way to deal with these people is to ignore them. Then if they persist be friendly. Wave at them. You know with all five fingers spread happily. Not just the index finger - :)

It's a sad thing, but these types like to make everbody feel as miserable as they do. We all have met them and we always will.
Oh, yeah absolutely. People will wave at me and I'll smile and wave back. If someone stops me and wants to check out my bike(s) I gladly stop and let them know about how they work and the forums and what not. I always wave, I'm not some inconsiderate jerk, lol. I wish I could find more people in my area to ride with. It's fun to meet up with other folks and cruise. It's getting a little cold, but with a light jacket, it's plenty warm enough to cruise. I ride until there's ice on the ground(and even then I'll break out the bike once in a while). I wish drivers were more careful.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You don't have to be on a motorized bicycle to encounter the types of people/drivers you describe. They're out there no matter what you ride or drive. The situation seems to worsen as time goes on. Folks are very self centered today and it's all about them, not you.

The best advice, especially where a bike is concerned is to 'ride as if you're invisible'. That means to expect the unexpected and ride/drive defensively.

Whatever you do, ride safe.

Tom

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
You don't have to be on a motorized bicycle to encounter the types of people/drivers you describe. They're out there no matter what you ride or drive. The situation seems to worsen as time goes on. Folks are very self centered today and it's all about them, not you.

The best advice, especially where a bike is concerned is to 'ride as if you're invisible'. That means to expect the unexpected and ride/drive defensively.

Whatever you do, ride safe.

Tom
I don't even drive a car anymore, I hate the idiots on the road. I do ride my bike defensively. It's not always possible though, I ride as far to the right as possible so people can pass me, usually it's not an issue. I just think people should be more considerate.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Most people are considerate. Most people will move left to give you space.

Some won't and some will "pinch you in".

Others will honk, yell and throw cans.

But mostly people are good. It's like the news, it's interesting if people die. You just hear about the bad stuff.

Did anyone post about the 100 mile bike trip they took and mention that 10,000 cars gave them space and 20 cars with smiley goofy children waved at them?

Go with the flow, be happy and avoid the "dregs"

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
Most people are considerate. Most people will move left to give you space.

Some won't and some will "pinch you in".

Others will honk, yell and throw cans.

But mostly people are good. It's like the news, it's interesting if people die. You just hear about the bad stuff.

Did anyone post about the 100 mile bike trip they took and mention that 10,000 cars gave them space and 20 cars with smiley goofy children waved at them?

Go with the flow, be happy and avoid the "dregs"
Yeah, you're right about that. It depends who's behind the wheel and how their day is going. I always take action of courtesy by riding as far right as possible. I'm slower moving traffic in certain areas, and I allow them to pass, usually not a problem. The problem is when you run into a "badass" who likes to be the center of attention.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Hehe yeah, nothing ever really changes eh?

That's why we still study old Greek literature in school. A guy at college asked the prof why we were still reading the "Iliad" here one more time again after Jr. High and again at High School.

"What is so important about this stuff, what is the lesson to be learned that we go over this again and again"

"Mankind has not changed in 2000 years"

And it's not likely to change anytime soon.

45 years ago when I was a teenager, some people honked, some yelled, some scared the crap outta me...

Nobody threw cans at me though - :)

But most people moved left and gave me space. Same as it ever was - :)

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
During Summer we get a lot of day tripper traffic on the country roads in the district where I live. It's commonplace for cars to end up at a standstill in the hot sun due to an accident or other traffic problem some miles ahead. Of course being on a bicycle or my tricycle I'm not held up at all, but I can always predict that there will be at least one car every few hundred yards or so where the occupants will toss some not very nice comments my way as I pedal past.
On the other hand though there are the kiddies that smile and wave at the old fashioned looking lady on her old fashioned bicycle and that always makes my day.

It's just human nature I suppose that makes some folk be unpleasant to be around and that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
During Summer we get a lot of day tripper traffic on the country roads in the district where I live. It's commonplace for cars to end up at a standstill in the hot sun due to an accident or other traffic problem some miles ahead. Of course being on a bicycle or my tricycle I'm not held up at all, but I can always predict that there will be at least one car every few hundred yards or so where the occupants will toss some not very nice comments my way as I pedal past.
On the other hand though there are the kiddies that smile and wave at the old fashioned looking lady on her old fashioned bicycle and that always makes my day.

It's just human nature I suppose that makes some folk be unpleasant to be around and that's unlikely to change anytime soon.
I agree. That's neat!.trk

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Get bigger, look meaner, add some tattoos and that rarely happens. Lmfao

I generally get "cool bike" comments when I'm parked, but on the road, drivers go around me. I take the whole lane if I want to.

Usually I'm the one yelling at ignorant drivers, then they either stay behind me or switch lanes and act like they can seem me staring at them.

Occasionally I'll get a car load of girls asking if I have a girlfriend. That's always nice.

It's not like any of these road warriors are going to get out of there car and try and fight a 240 6ft guy.

My buddies have had women of all people throwing drinks at them because they were apparently in the cars way on a narrow 2 lane road during construction. They chased the car and the girls ran a red light today get away, lmfao

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
Get bigger, look meaner, add some tattoos and that rarely happens. Lmfao

I generally get "cool bike" comments when I'm parked, but on the road, drivers go around me. I take the whole lane if I want to.

Usually I'm the one yelling at ignorant drivers, then they either stay behind me or switch lanes and act like they can seem me staring at them.

Occasionally I'll get a car load of girls asking if I have a girlfriend. That's always nice.

It's not like any of these road warriors are going to get out of there car and try and fight a 240 6ft guy.

My buddies have had women of all people throwing drinks at them because they were apparently in the cars way on a narrow 2 lane road during construction. They chased the car and the girls ran a red light today get away, lmfao
LOL! Most of the time, people are pretty nice. They'll watch me cruise by without saying anything to me. I usually have younger kids yell stuff at me but I don't really stop for them. Most eyes will follow me as I pass by.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
I had of all things a motorbike rider cut me off yesterday ,I was going straight at a t section and sitting on the side of the road waiting my turn ,a dude on a motorbike pulls up beside me and proceeds to turn in front of me ,then proceeds to hurl a mouthful of abuse at me .

Did I use any signal to infer I was turning NO!!! And as such told him such in a not to child friendly language or manner ,he flipped me the bird before taking off in a wheel stand and getting the wobbles half way through his manly manoeuvre .

The stupid twit dropped his ride and slid a good 20 feet before coming to a stop ,he was unscathed ,not so lucky for his bike .

I guess the karma train stopped at his station ,although I did the right thing and assisted him whilst still copping a mouthful of foul language ,the police arrived and thanked me for assisting him .

Still feel bad for the IDIOT THOUGH

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
I had of all things a motorbike rider cut me off yesterday ,I was going straight at a t section and sitting on the side of the road waiting my turn ,a dude on a motorbike pulls up beside me and proceeds to turn in front of me ,then proceeds to hurl a mouthful of abuse at me .

Did I use any signal to infer I was turning NO!!! And as such told him such in a not to child friendly language or manner ,he flipped me the bird before taking off in a wheel stand and getting the wobbles half way through his manly manoeuvre .

The stupid twit dropped his ride and slid a good 20 feet before coming to a stop ,he was unscathed ,not so lucky for his bike .

I guess the karma train stopped at his station ,although I did the right thing and assisted him whilst still copping a mouthful of foul language ,the police arrived and thanked me for assisting him .

Still feel bad for the IDIOT THOUGH
Wow, those are the kind of bad apples that make the police/city make our MB's illegal to ride and that ruins it for the rest of us safe/responsible riders on the road. Sorry to have that happen, Hen.