Proper bicycle lock up method

GoldenMotor.com

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Maybe this will prevent our beloved MBs from being stolen as often. We put a lot of work and money into these machines.

How to Properly Lock Up Your Bike: http://youtu.be/Gzu6Q6E9kv4

How to Properly Lock Your Bicycle With a Bike Loc…: http://youtu.be/ryY-qMFLcfo

Buy a good lock

Hal's best and worst locked bikes: http://youtu.be/ZUWfiaz44nA

Hal Breaks Locks: http://youtu.be/kXXB8MqTNsU

Stick to quality chains and u looks, always use use two. On Guard and Kryptonite make great lock, I chose to use On Guard because of the fact there lowered and mid grade u locks use the dual locks on there systems, so a thief has to cut both side of the u lock to remove it

Beware, all u locks areas not created equal. Plenty of YouTube videos of inferior u locks being cut with short bolt cutters. Not everyone is going to run around with 36" bolt cutters, so most high end u locks are safe

Seat post chain

How to Lock Your Bike Seat: http://youtu.be/2v4u39m7_uU

Very easy to make and help to make sure your seat and post are still there when you get back.

Wheel locks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_8?k=pinhead+lock&sprefix=Pinhead+

I use pinhead locks on my bikes and they work great. The old style way susceptible to "Gator Grip" removal, but the design has been updated. I keep the key on my keychain lanyard and it has a bottle opener.

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
I will have to take a look at my lock, but it is a beast of a thing. Combine that with the hardened steel cable in a cut resistant sheath, I can't imagine anyone getting through this thing. At least I hope not, being as it weighs so darn much! And to be honest if they can get through it all and get the bike....well they can have it. Not like I wont find it anyway, being one of only possibly 4 guys riding these bike in my area :D

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Another thing to keep in mind, If you use keyed locks, stay away from the old cylinder keys, you want laser cut keys.

Cylinder lock can easily be manipulated, some with a bic pen.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I use a heavy chain and padlock, my key is laser cut, the lock is case hardened to resist cutting, I suppose a through-hardened lock would be best, but the chain is 3 feet long and weighs at least ten lbs. When I'm at home, I chain my bike up out back, and I just put the chain through the frame. But I also have a u-lock which I got on sale for $4 at Kmart. Whenever I'm away from home and my bike is out of my sight, I put the u-lock through the back wheel. If they can break through my padlock and/or cut my heavy chain, and get through the u-lock which goes through the wheel and over the bottom chainstays, then I guess they're getting my bike. But that hasn't happened in almost 3 years, knock on wood. No lock is completely foolproof, but the proper way to lock your bike up is to make it the most work for a thief, and if possible, lock it either somewhere very secluded (as in can't be seen from the street, like in my case), or somewhere very well lit.

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Take the seat with you as well. Would be funny to see someone riding down the road on a bike with no seat, especially on a stretched cruiser like mine.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I use a heavy chain and padlock, my key is laser cut, the lock is case hardened to resist cutting, I suppose a through-hardened lock would be best, but the chain is 3 feet long and weighs at least ten lbs.
A good bike lock system is important but just to play Devils Advocate here are some other factors to consider.

Where you park:

At home you can do all kinds of things to secure your bike, picture a dungeon with wall mounted chains.

Another nifty trick is just an alarm that triggers with an open circuit.
A long wire pair from where you put the alarm with a pair of alligator clips you attach to the frame, usually near the bottom and far apart.
If they loose contact with the bike (someone stealing it) the alarm sounds.

All dandy for home but not practical for on the road.

Good locks help but alot of it has to do with where you park.
Most every local parts and bike shops, bars, etc. here have no objections to me wheeling the bike right inside, the same for grocery stores, I just park inside the door where the surveillance camera is.

When forced to park outside like a convenience store I park right by the door so I can see my bike from inside and let everyone 'hanging out' outside know that I'm watching and packing (even though I'm not) and I don't get screwed with.

If you have no other choice but to park exposed a couple good locks are good but remember, you have to pack the weight of the locks and take the time to deploy and re-stow them and there is such a thing as too many locks...

You'd need a trailer to carry that many locks and what happens if you loose a key?

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I just use the chain at home, and where I park out back is secluded, no one ever bothers my bike back there. I work at a grocery store and there are surveillance cameras, but I use the u-lock to make it more difficult for thieves. This setup has been working for me for quite some time.

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Looked at the lock today after using it, and it is a kryptonite u lock, and I have a long coated cut resistant cable that I fish through the wheels and frame. Then use the u lock through the front tire and behind the head tube.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hi KCvale!
LMFAO Very funny picture, but appropriate in some areas lolol.
To be considered where I live lolol.

Dave
AssembleThis
Hehehe, ya that's a fun pic.

Another method to deter theft is to make it as big or stupid looking as possible so nobody else would even want to steal it.

Got a bunch of pics like those, none of which I built ;-}