Anyone using a Wabron carburetor?

GoldenMotor.com

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I picked up a Wabron performance carb from my local parts dealer (Boygofast sells them on ebay). Came with no documentation. Did find docs on how to install but other than that there's no info on what all the pipes sticking out of it are for or tuning info.

There are 2 barbed pipes, one off the bottom of the bowl (I think it's for overflow), the other leads into the air intake port (no idea what that's for, maybe connectiong a nitros bottle??)

2 other brass pipes stick straight up and have no barbs. No clue on these.

A couple other screws on it for tuning something too.

So does anyone use one of these and can clue me in?

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
I'm no expert but I believe that these carbs are the type that have a diaphragm/pump built into them and. They require both an inlet hose from the fuel tank and a outlet fuel hose back to the fuel tank. They do not have a float that regulates the fuel flow? http://www.wind-drifter.com/technical/WG8_explode.gif maybe this will help figuring out what is what. If you click on the image when it comes up it gets much easier to read. Here is a link to a tuning guide with lots of photos http://tech.flygsw.org/walbro_tuneup.htm

Sorry about the cartoon It seems to have attached itself to the post.

ocscully

Last edited:

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm no expert but I believe that these carbs are the type that have a diaphragm/pump built into them and. They require both an inlet hose from the fuel tank and a outlet fuel hose back to the fuel tank. They do not have a float that regulates the fuel flow? http://www.wind-drifter.com/technical/WG8_explode.gif maybe this will help figuring out what is what. If you click on the image when it comes up it gets much easier to read. Here is a link to a tuning guide with lots of photos Walbro Carb Tune up!

Sorry about the cartoon It seems to have attached itself to the post.

ocscully
My carb is a Wabron. Walbro is a different brand! The Wabron looks more like a Mikuni.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Tube from the bottom of the float bowl goes to the barbed vent tube on top of the carb. That's for the fuel enrichenment circuit used as a choke. The other two tubes side-by-side are vent tubes. It's a good idea to run tubing from them that hang down so nothing can fall into the holes.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Tube from the bottom of the float bowl goes to the barbed vent tube on top of the carb. That's for the fuel enrichenment circuit used as a choke. The other two tubes side-by-side are vent tubes. It's a good idea to run tubing from them that hang down so nothing can fall into the holes.

I'm not so sure about that DaveC. I looked down inside the choke barrel and there's a hole at the bottom that goes to the bowl. If you open the choke it opens that hole where all the fuel is. The bottom tube seems to be just a drain in case of overflow or if your bike tips over.

Last edited:

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
You got any pics of that carb Scotty? I've got lots of expirience with Walbro's and can prolly figure your Wabron upon inspection......lemme know.

scotto-

dnut
Yay, scotto- to the rescue.
Any help identifying this stuff would be greatly appreciated

So far input has been that "barbed tube A" connects to "barbed tube B" for the choke enrichment
- I'm not so sure about that...the choke barrel has it's own hole into the bowl and a venturi tube from the filter side of the carb throat, passing over the choke hole then out the engine side of the carb throat which would draw fuel out of the bowl when choke is opened -

If I were to guess I'd say "Barbed Tube A" might be for a Boost Bottle.

Tubes C and D are just vent tubes.

I'm guessing "Screw B" is idle speed adjustment.
I think "Screw A" is a fine tuning mixture screw for the idle

P.S. I have "barbed tube B" bent down so it will clear my shift kit bracket and the top of the throttle tube where the throttle and choke cables attach has been removed.

Here's some pics

Right-side.jpg Left-side.jpg Back-(air-filter-side).jpg

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well to me, that looks to be the air/fuel adjustment screw. Screw it clockwise for leaner (more air) CCW for richer (more fuel).

Have you got your bike running with it yet?

dnut

Yay, scotto- to the rescue.
Any help identifying this stuff would be greatly appreciated

So far input has been that "barbed tube A" connects to "barbed tube B" for the choke enrichment
- I'm not so sure about that...the choke barrel has it's own hole into the bowl and a venturi tube from the filter side of the carb throat, passing over the choke hole then out the engine side of the carb throat which would draw fuel out of the bowl when choke is opened -

If I were to guess I'd say "Barbed Tube A" might be for a Boost Bottle.

Tubes C and D are just vent tubes.

I'm guessing "Screw B" is idle speed adjustment.
I think "Screw A" is a fine tuning mixture screw for the idle

P.S. I have "barbed tube B" bent down so it will clear my shift kit bracket and the top of the throttle tube where the throttle and choke cables attach has been removed.

Here's some pics

View attachment 37926 View attachment 37927 View attachment 37928

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well to me, that looks to be the air/fuel adjustment screw. Screw it clockwise for leaner (more air) CCW for richer (more fuel).

Have you got your bike running with it yet?

dnut
Yes, got it running last night but by the time I had it all together it was too dark to play with it. Got to mess with it today for a while. Had to find the right groove for the needle clip (all the way at the top) and she ran like a top.

Yes, the screw closest to the filter is the air/fuel adjustment screw. Took be back to my old Briggs and Straton lawnmower days. Got the idle dialed in. I think the air/fuel adjustment screw might have an effect at different throttle positions too. Gonna have to mess with that later.

Still no clue what the barbed tube at the top by the air filter is for. I've just capped it off with a rubber vacuum cap. Cap on or off doesn't seem to make a difference. So it's capped to keep dirt out.

My right shift kit bracket's also in the way, can't get the carb to sit level. Gonna have to make a shim for the intake pipe.

So now that the bike is running again (woohoo, new top end, new electronics) you up for another group ride Scotto- ? I think we're way behind schedule for one!!!

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
You set a date, I'll chart a route and we will RIDE!

dnut

Yes, got it running last night but by the time I had it all together it was too dark to play with it. Got to mess with it today for a while. Had to find the right groove for the needle clip (all the way at the top) and she ran like a top.

Yes, the screw closest to the filter is the air/fuel adjustment screw. Took be back to my old Briggs and Straton lawnmower days. Got the idle dialed in. I think the air/fuel adjustment screw might have an effect at different throttle positions too. Gonna have to mess with that later.

Still no clue what the barbed tube at the top by the air filter is for. I've just capped it off with a rubber vacuum cap. My right shift kit bracket's also in the way, can't get the carb to sit level. Gonna have to make a shim for the intake pipe.

So now that the bike is running again (woohoo, new top end, new electronics) you up for another group ride Scotto- ? I think we're way behind schedule for one!!!

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
OK, back to the Wabron performance carburetor...

Took my bike out for a nice looong ride today. Carb dialed in for an excellent idle.

But...theres no tickle button on it to prime the carb and I had to pedal much too far to get the engine to start. Also, I think it runs too rich for these china engines. I have the needle clip on the highest groove but the bike just won't wind out like I'm used to. I messed with the air/ fuel adjustment screw and it does have an effect on the full throttle range performance. The engine does have some decent low end power but once it's at half throttle it starts bogging down and at full throttle it starts sputtering. Gonna try to fill the jet and drill a smaller hole in it to see if it helps.

My Opinion: It's a nice looking carb, nice looking air filter, lots of bells and whistles on it but out of the box as it comes when you buy it, I think the stock carbs work much better...

Stealthpony

Jun 27, 2016
Kingston ontario canada
Hey man I have this carb and it can work great if tuned right. For sure your problem lies in your main jet.... probably too big. I had the same problem but low and high after port matching and changing port timing.U can go wide open press the kill switch and then clutch to a stop and check your plug.If the plug is black vs light Grey then you need a smaller or leaner main jet if it is white it's too hot and not getting enough fuel but I suspect it's too rich.Main jet kits for dellorto carbs work. M6 thread or type? . As for low jet u sound d like your fine and I am still trying to find the correct jets for this think I found but am waiting for them to be delivered. Should have looked at the date lol