I got a case of the blues...

GoldenMotor.com

magicalpancake

Jul 6, 2009
Denver
It's all in the details....

We run super beefy hubs on our motorbikes. And since the axles are nearly a half inch in diameter, my vintage schwinn springer fork assy required some mods as well. The drops are made wider and a little a pin is welded into the drop to hold the brake plate.
What is a super beefy hub you guys run? It appears to also have an internul drum brake? How do you mount the motor side sprocket?

Me want!

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
In the rear, we run Moped hubs for our Morini powered bikes, my personal preference is the Puch hub. It's a 130mm width, so if you start with a coaster brake frame (typically a 110mm width) you need to widen the drops. Also, because the hubs have 12mm axles, you need to open up the slots to get the axles to fit. The front axles are 11mm.

These hubs have bolt on sprockets and the offset is a perfect match to the Morini motors, and the offset works on the bicycle side as well, so the chains line right up. The hubs are also pre-drilled for big spokes and the std sprocket size is a 45 tooth which is good for all around riding. Good stuff.

Up front, most guys still run the worksman drum hubs, but I'm running the matching Puch hub on the blue bike, the axles are larger and they have better backing plates that are located via a pin rather than a strap around your pretty paint job. Otherwise, the hubs are almost identical to the worksman hubs -I'm guessing they're made by the same manufacturer. The pads are even interchangeable.

Rich

Last edited:

magicalpancake

Jul 6, 2009
Denver
thanks for the info, that's pretty epic! =) If I had known that I would have done away with the hd axle kit and gone that route. I guess there is always my next build!

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
So beautiful. This is what I would do if I had BIG money. I'm a huge fan of Pat's work :)
Rich get's all the credit on this build. It may look similar to a standard Racer, but it is different in a number of ways. It's actually the prototype first Racer built. Rich wanted the engine lower in the chassis, which we did, and he also went with different forks, different pipe, and different seat. This bike also has a different down tube than the rest of the production run. From there he added so many little touches that take so much time to figure out, like the rear wheel adjusters. It is also the first Racer to power itself down the road and right after it was built he took it on a 90 mile ride with only one problem. He turned right where everyone else went straight and proceded to get us both lost out in the middle of nowhere!
Pat

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
HAHA, thanks for clearing that up! In that case, beautiful work Rich, but I also am a big fan of your work pat :)

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Jeeze, after all the late nights Pat and I spent in his shop and he has to tell everyone I made a wrong turn and we got just a little bit lost. But for the careful readers in the crowd, one thing is obvious, he was following me! And like a good brother, I kept my speed down so he could keep up.

In all fairness, I followed his lead into this build. I didn't even want to stretch the frame, I wanted to get my Morini mounted as quick as I could. So when I wasn't there, he cut my frame into pieces so there was no turning back. The rest is history. While I was building a motorbike, Pat was building a business. Go figure...

1whiteboy

May 4, 2013
calvert city, kentucky
Here's a close look at that upper engine mount. It's a neat little addition that really adds strength/rigidity to the mounting system. It picks up the mounting hole on the cylinder head.

This little mount really anchors the motor into the frame, and it just plain looks cool.

The picture makes the upper bar look bent, but I assure you it's straight as an arrow.
Hey Rich, Can you recall what size that heim joint is that you used on your blue morini build and did you use any additional parts like sleeves or spacers? Ive got S.F. Flyer motor mounts for the morini and I want to mount the cylinder head mount in the same way you did! thanks Mark

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
I don't recall off hand, but it is probably 5/16", maybe 3/8", I can check and get back to you later. Pretty sure I got it at Orchard Supply, it was under ten bucks. No sleeves or spacers required if you make the companion bracket the right width.

These motors are not torquey like the big four strokes we run on some of our other bikes, but the kick start creates some twisting force on the motor. The engine has three mounting bosses, might as well use all three.

1whiteboy

May 4, 2013
calvert city, kentucky
Hey Rich, Thanks for the advice, I think that is a cool looking mount more than anything and like you said Its there, so I might as well use it. Napa is right up the street from where I live, so I called them and they have a 3/8" in stock, didn't ask them about any other sizes. I bought my motor mounts from you guys so it should work. Ill just take the bracket with me when I go to Napa and check it out. thanks again, Mark