disc brake

GoldenMotor.com

2 stoke ray

Dec 20, 2016
Corpus Christi TX
I can weld a little. I know guys who worked for me that are certified welders who are artists at what they do. What did you have in mind? I have been looking at the forks to see if I could strengthen them with out changing the appearance.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
The question was sort of geared towards whether or not you thought the fork could accept a good bead or not. Having not held one in my hands, I don't know how thick or of what quality the metal is. Is it a legitimate Schwinn product, or is it a Chinese knockoff? Some of the knockoffs have been known to buckle right at the pivot... and aren't suggested for use on a MAB in the first place.

Anyway, the point is that you can weld disc brake tabs on a fork, but only if the metal it's going on is up to the task.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
You could always buy a springer fork with mounting tabs if you don't trust your welding skills.
It all depends of the type of Springer fork.
These for example are 'just look cool' kids bicycle forks...

It short a cosmetic design that will fail at the pivot joint, and they don't provide any real shock absorption anyway.

If you manage to weld a disc caliper on it, I imagine the first time used it the fork would collapse with the speed and weight of an MB .

If you wand a disc brake springier I suggest this...
The ~$100 Sun already has a front disc mount and will take it.
https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Deluxe-Springer-Replica-Fork/dp/B008ZTM7GI

2 strong forks and 2 springs.
The back fork is attached to the frame headset, the front fork holds the wheel and free to move up and down so it actually does give you some suspension!

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
It all depends of the type of Springer fork.
These for example are 'just look cool' kids bicycle forks...

It short a cosmetic design that will fail at the pivot joint, and they don't provide any real shock absorption anyway.

If you manage to weld a disc caliper on it, I imagine the first time used it the fork would collapse with the speed and weight of an MB .

If you wand a disc brake springier I suggest this...
The ~$100 Sun already has a front disc mount and will take it.
https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Deluxe-Springer-Replica-Fork/dp/B008ZTM7GI

2 strong forks and 2 springs.
The back fork is attached to the frame headset, the front fork holds the wheel and free to move up and down so it actually does give you some suspension!
Yea, that's the one I have on my new lifan bike. It works well and looks really cool. When I first got the micargi puma in the mail, I took one look at the springer fork that came with it (the first picture), and thought to myself "Now there's as good a way to kill yourself as any I've seen."

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Yea, that's the one I have on my new lifan bike. It works well and looks really cool. When I first got the micargi puma in the mail, I took one look at the springer fork that came with it (the first picture), and thought to myself
"Now there's as good a way to kill yourself as any I've seen."
My thoughts exactly and why I pointed it out ;-}

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
How about caliper brakes? Would that be safe?
The point we're trying to get across is that the fork you are talking about is a piece of crap which really shouldn't be on a motorized bicycle. Do yourself a favor and get a decent fork, then you can put a nice big disc brake on it and not have to worry about your fork breaking or not being able to stop in time.

Last edited:

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Even if it's a standard, non-suspension fork, it's better than making an unintentional motorized asphalt ski from a Chinese springer fork. I hate to poop on your ideas, but we want you safe, and not missing half your face.

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
If your gonna do a double fork make sure you don't get a monarch!!! They have a history of poor craftsmanship, and spot welding. Google them and you will find a ton of piss poor reviews and a few accidents.